Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/20 18:13:59 UTC

Re: concurrency problem with delta-import (indexing various cores simultaniously)

Hey,
Yeah, I patched the bug reported by Ryuuichi of the SimpleDateFormat aswell.
Is there any other known concurrency bug that maybe I am missing?
In my use case I could manage to index not concurrently but would like to
discover why this is happening...

Thank you very much!

Posted by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thank you so much Ryuuichi, I was completelly stuck with this problem!

Ryuuichi KUMAI wrote:

> Hello Marc,
>
> I faced the similar problem, and I found a workaround.
> If the performance degradation in your application is caused by GC,
> this information might help you:

> Regards,
> Ryuuichi Kumai.
>
> 2009/2/21 Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> I am working with 3 index of 1 gig each. I am using the standard setting
>> of
>> the GC, haven't changed anything and using java version "1.6.0_07".
>> I don't know so much about GV configuration... just read this
>>
>> http://marcus.net/blog/2007/11/10/solr-search-and-java-gc-tuning/
>>
>> when a month ago I exeprienced another problem with Solr (at the end it
>> was
>> not GV's fault). So, any advice about wich GC should I try or what should
>> tune?
>>
>> Thank you very much!
>>

>> Shalin Shekhar Mangar wrote:

>>> I guess you are being hit by garbage collection. Memory utilization
>>> should
>>> go down once an import completes. Which GC are you using? There have
>>> been
>>> few recent threads on GC settings. Perhaps you can try out a few of
>>> those
>>> settings. I don't know how big your documents/index are but if possible

Posted by Ryuuichi KUMAI <ry...@gmail.com>.
Hello Marc,

Posted by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Yes,
> Now it's almost tree days non-stop since I am running updates with the 3
> cores with cron jobs. If there are updates of 10000 docs everything is
> alrite. When I start doing updates of 300000 is when that core runs really
> slow. I have to abort the import in that core and keep updating with less
> rows each time.
> Another thing to point is that tomcat reaches the maximum memory I allow
> (2Gig) and never goes down (but at least it doesn't run out of memory). Is
> that normal? Shouldn't the memory go down a lot after an update is
> completed?

I guess you are being hit by garbage collection. Memory utilization should
go down once an import completes. Which GC are you using? There have been a

Posted by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes,

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.