Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Sebastian Nagel <sn...@apache.org> on 2022/11/21 09:06:37 UTC

[DISCUSS] Bug reporting - enabling Github issues?

Hi everybody,

because of a growing number of spam account creation public sign-ups to the
Apache JIRA have been disabled.

In order to allow users to report bugs, we have two options:
1 either users let us know about the issue on the mailing list and one of the
   Nutch PMC creates a user account using https://selfserve.apache.org/
2 or we enable Github issues for the Nutch repositories

Option 1 may hinder some users to report a bug because it takes some steps
and time until the JIRA account is created.

The two options are not mutually exclusive:
- because of existing issues in JIRA and because we create the release notes
   using JIRA, we are likely stick for some time to JIRA. The release notes also
   require that Github issues are duplicated on JIRA.
- on the other hand, it's not always the case that contributors use Github
   and have registered there

The recommendation of the infra team is:
   We suggest projects consider using GitHub Issues for customer-facing
   questions/bug reports/etc., while maintaining development issues on Jira.

If there are no objections I'll enable Github issues (see [1]) and add the
pointers to the Nutch site and README, and update the pull-request template.

Best,
Sebastian

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features#Git.asf.yamlfeatures-Repositoryfeatures