Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/09 06:59:31 UTC

Can't find upgrade, Can't Uninstall - How do you get rid of OO to start over? I can't Paste out of OO 3.2 on Debian Linux.

I have OpenOffice 3.2.1.4 on Debian Squeeze (Linux)

How does one remove old OpenOffice to get a new one?

When I try to paste text from Open Office to ANY other application, I lose
words
 and parts of lines, whole paragraphs.

It's inconsistent. Sometimes it will paste the first two lines out of 5,
sometim
es only the final word in a paragraph, or just one character out of a
paste, will make it to the new page. This happens between OO and gedit, OO
and vi(m), OO and IRC/XChat2, OO document1 and OO document2, and OO and web
based email.

It might have started in December, when I fixed the bug that wasn't letting
OO open. Re: [Solved] Stuck in Document Recovery .. or more recently. We
are moving house; I haven't had time to focus on my computer.

Upgrading was suggested. I tried very hard to find an acceptable download
of 4.1 for i386. Nobody is in the Debian OpenOffice Freenode channel.
http://sourceforge.net/directory/os:linux/freshness:recently-updated/?q=OpenOffice_4.0.1_Linux_x86_install-deb
does not show me the correct file. I keep getting a RedHat type download.

If I can't use OpenOffice, I have to do something. I need help, please?

Linda

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack
of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of
gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot."
-- Robert A. Heinlein<https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/205.Robert_A_Heinlein>,
* Friday <https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1415529> *

Re: Can't find upgrade, Can't Uninstall - How do you get rid of OO to start over? I can't Paste out of OO 3.2 on Debian Linux.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:59 PM, Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have OpenOffice 3.2.1.4 on Debian Squeeze (Linux)
>
> How does one remove old OpenOffice to get a new one?
>
> When I try to paste text from Open Office to ANY other application, I lose
> words
>  and parts of lines, whole paragraphs.
>
> It's inconsistent. Sometimes it will paste the first two lines out of 5,
> sometim
> es only the final word in a paragraph, or just one character out of a
> paste, will make it to the new page. This happens between OO and gedit, OO
> and vi(m), OO and IRC/XChat2, OO document1 and OO document2, and OO and web
> based email.
>
> It might have started in December, when I fixed the bug that wasn't letting
> OO open. Re: [Solved] Stuck in Document Recovery .. or more recently. We
> are moving house; I haven't had time to focus on my computer.
>
> Upgrading was suggested. I tried very hard to find an acceptable download
> of 4.1 for i386. Nobody is in the Debian OpenOffice Freenode channel.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/directory/os:linux/freshness:recently-updated/?q=OpenOffice_4.0.1_Linux_x86_install-deb
> does not show me the correct file. I keep getting a RedHat type download.

Probably the most convenient way for you to get the exact version/package
you need is to go to:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

Please get back to this list if you still encounter problems.

> If I can't use OpenOffice, I have to do something. I need help, please?
>
> Linda
>
> "A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack
> of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of
> gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot."
> -- Robert A. Heinlein<
> https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/205.Robert_A_Heinlein>,
> * Friday <https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1415529> *

MzK

"Cats do not have to be shown how to have a good time,
 for they are unfailing ingenious in that respect."
                                       -- James Mason

Posted by Greg Madden <go...@gci.net>.
On Wednesday 09 April 2014 17:07:50 you wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 April 2014 15:11:31 you wrote:
> > Greg,
> >
> > Could you please explain how to do that?
> >
> > > Clearing the clipboard history worked here.
> >
> > Linda
>
> The clipboard is a utility that is part of my desktop environment,
> look in your menu system, >utilities. Has different names depending
> on which DE yoy are using.
>
> Greg

There is quite a bit of discussion on the internet about similar or same
issues. Here is an example the might point you to a better
understanding ;

http://superuser.com/questions/68170/how-can-i-merge-the-gnome-clipboard-and-the-x-selection

Peace,

Greg

Posted by Greg Madden <go...@gci.net>.

Posted by Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com>.
Greg,

Posted by Greg Madden <go...@gci.net>.
On Tuesday 08 April 2014 20:59:31 you wrote:
> I have OpenOffice 3.2.1.4 on Debian Squeeze (Linux)
>
> How does one remove old OpenOffice to get a new one?
>
> When I try to paste text from Open Office to ANY other application, I
> lose words
>  and parts of lines, whole paragraphs.
>
> It's inconsistent. Sometimes it will paste the first two lines out of
> 5, sometim
> es only the final word in a paragraph, or just one character out of a
> paste, will make it to the new page. This happens between OO and
> gedit, OO and vi(m), OO and IRC/XChat2, OO document1 and OO
> document2, and OO and web based email.

I have Squeeze & OO 3.2.1-11+squeeze8, Debians  packaging. No issues
with cut/copy paste. I have had issues with some DE with the clipboard,
which causes unpredictable behaviour you mention. Clearing the
clipboard history worked here.

> It might have started in December, when I fixed the bug that wasn't
> letting OO open. Re: [Solved] Stuck in Document Recovery .. or more
> recently. We are moving house; I haven't had time to focus on my
> computer.
>
> Upgrading was suggested. I tried very hard to find an acceptable
> download of 4.1 for i386. Nobody is in the Debian OpenOffice Freenode
> channel.
> http://sourceforge.net/directory/os:linux/freshness:recently-updated/
>?q=OpenOffice_4.0.1_Linux_x86_install-deb does not show me the correct
> file. I keep getting a RedHat type download.
>
> If I can't use OpenOffice, I have to do something. I need help,
> please?
>
> Linda

Peace,

Greg