Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org> on 2004/10/14 14:41:04 UTC

[Fwd: [VOTE] Proposal for Castle]

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [VOTE] Proposal for Castle
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:30:27 +0200
From: Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.apache.incubator.general

Hi all,

Please vote on the Castle incubation proposal:

    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CastleProposal

+1 from me.

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=general@incubator.apache.org&msgNo=4289
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=general@incubator.apache.org&by=thread&from=894370

- Leo Simons

Re: [Fwd: [VOTE] Proposal for Castle]

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 14 October 2004 20:41, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CastleProposal
>
> I am AGAINST the concept of Avalon should be part of the decision process,

I have no strong opinion on that. I /forwarded/ the message here so
individuals here could perhaps pick up on this and perhaps express
support for the new project over @ incubator. Or not. Or whatever.

> but
> not voting against the proposal or being against its technical or community
> validity.

the vote is for the incubator pmc :-D. Everyone is free to express an
opinion; the appropriate forum is probably general@incubator.

> That said, I think it is needed that the Board, or perhaps even All Members,
> needs to decide and issue guide-lines and policies surrounding dotNet
> projects. What is the legal risk involved? What is the worst-case scenario?
> Is it in the ASF's interest to be promoting dotNet projects at all? And so
> on...

We have .net projects already, and this has been discussed in various
places by various people already. I'm not completely aware of the
answers to those questions yet as far as we have them (but don't worry,
I will be :-D), but I know from precedent and reassurance from others
that what we're doing here is "okay".

> So, IMHO, the vote doesn't belong here.

agreed!

cheers,

- Leo

Re: [Fwd: [VOTE] Proposal for Castle]

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 14 October 2004 20:41, Leo Simons wrote:

>     http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CastleProposal

I am AGAINST the concept of Avalon should be part of the decision process, but
not voting against the proposal or being against its technical or community
validity.

That said, I think it is needed that the Board, or perhaps even All Members,
needs to decide and issue guide-lines and policies surrounding dotNet
projects. What is the legal risk involved? What is the worst-case scenario?
Is it in the ASF's interest to be promoting dotNet projects at all? And so
on...

So, IMHO, the vote doesn't belong here.

Cheers
Niclas