Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com> on 2011/05/06 21:03:05 UTC

Apache Hadoop Hackathons: 5/11 and 5/18 in SF and Palo Alto

Hey,

The discussion this week about the 0.20.203.0 release has done a great job
of highlighting some issues in our development process; it's also done a
great job of lifting our mailing list activity metrics. After reading
through the various threads, it's clear that everyone agrees on two things:

1) We'd like to get the work done in the 0.20.x branches into trunk
2) We'd like to start releasing off of trunk again

To that end, a few folks from Yahoo!, Cloudera, StumbleUpon, and Facebook
would like to put together a series of Hackathons to 1) burn down the 13
(only 13!) remaining blockers for the 0.22 release and 2) forward-port the
work done in the 0.20.x branches into trunk.

Cloudera will be hosting Hackathons from 10 am to 6 pm in both our Palo Alto
and San Francisco offices next Wednesday, 5/11, and the following Wednesday,
5/18, to ensure both of these tasks get completed in short order. PMC
members Todd Lipcon and Tom White will lead the SF group and PMC members Eli
Collins and Patrick Hunt will lead the Palo Alto group.

Whether you're a long-time contributor or don't have a patch to your name,
now is a great time to get involved in Apache Hadoop development. Forward
porting patches is a lot easier than writing them from scratch, and you'll
have mentors present to help guide you through the patch testing and
submission process.

To sign up for the 5/11 Hackathon in either SF or PA, head over to
http://hadoophackathon.eventbrite.com.

As a reminder, the SF HUG will be held on 5/11 at 6 pm in the Cloudera SF
offices: http://www.meetup.com/hadoopsf/events/17354462/. If you can't make
it on 5/11, we'll send out a link next week for the 5/18 event.

Looking forward to getting the release train moving again!

Regards,
Jeff

p.s. if you'd like to participate remotely, email me directly and I'll see
about how we can teleconference you into the event.

Re: Apache Hadoop Hackathons: 5/11 and 5/18 in SF and Palo Alto

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@boudnik.org>.
Arun,

I believe you're reading to much into my comment - it was absolutely
well intent.

And I think you have to abstain from such reprimands in the future.
Should you have anything to say to me personally - pl. send me a
separate email next time.

With regards,
  Cos

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ar...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Cos,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Thank you for clarification Eric!

I got a private email suggesting that my original comment might have
created certain friction and whatnot. For those who suspect me of evil
deeds I want to clarify my response too - I was genuinely surprised by
your reply to the OP and put this amusement in the email.

I am glad that we can put this confusion behind us now!

Thanks,
  Cos

Posted by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Folks,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Milind Bhandarkar <mb...@linkedin.com>.
(Channeling Allen Wittenauer...:-)

*Grabbing Popcorn...*

- milind

--
Milind Bhandarkar
mbhandarkar@linkedin.com

Posted by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Jeff,

Posted by James Warren <ja...@stanfordalumni.org>.
Many thanks to Cloudera for hosting today's hackathons!  Under the helpful
guidance of Eli Collins, I submitted my first patch.  It's great to get off
the sidelines and into the game.

+1 for more of these community building events.

Thanks again,
-James Warren

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I am getting the final metrics patch HDFS-1117 in. Also here is the list
Jitendra had compiled about some of the HDFS patches flagged as not in
trunk:
HDFS-1020  - Yes, incorporated into 1201
HDFS-1022  - NA for trunk
HDFS-1136  - Yes, Fixed in hdfs-1178
HDFS-1153  - NO
HDFS-1158  - YES/NO, This issue is covered by HDFS-1161. Filed separate
issues for the suggested enhancements. by Eli.
HDFS-1313  - YES, It was backport of HDFS-481.
HDFS-495   - NA for trunk
HDFS-6599  - Is it HADOOP-6599? HADOOP-6599 is committed in common trunk.
HDFS-740   - This redirects to HADOOP-6344, which is committed to trunk.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Awesome.

I'm sorry to miss this (I'm neck deep in MR-279), but a heads up on
forward porting from my end:
# Luke and Suresh are sick of me bugging them and just rolled up their
sleeves to finish up all of the metrics2 work! Thanks guys! I've
reviewed/committed Luke's https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-6919
  and Suresh finished up the rest.
# I'll work with Devaraj/Chris to finish up the TT security hole (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-2178
).

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hey,

Posted by Sanjay Radia <sr...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I was looking to forward porting MR-2358.

The original 20.203 does not apply because trunk has lots of
improvements in MR since 20 due to context objects.
The attached trunk patch does not look correct. I will post a correct
trunk patch if indeed the bug still exists in trunk.

Further the bug fixed by 2358 only surfaced during the testing of
viewfs. Since viewfs is not part of 22 I would not worry
about this one for 22.

sanjay