Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Choonho Son <ch...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/23 09:01:03 UTC

[Discussion] OVM 3.x Integration in the CloudStack

Hi All,

Now CloudStack supports Oracle VM Server 2.x.
A few month ago, Oracle announced Oracle VM Server 3.x.

CloudStack can integrate OVM Server using various manner.

The possible options are:
1) Integrate OVM Server directly like previous version
2) Integrate OVM Server using OVM Manager (similar with Vmware style)
3) Integrate OVM Server using Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c which
provides Cloud API. (similar with Vmware style)

In the previous OVM 2.x, Oracle provides ovm agent API in the OVM Server.
However, OVM 3.x does not provide agent API officially.

A new APIs are included in the Enterprise manager 12c, but it is a
lack of functionality. (but Enterprise Manager 12c Ops Center provides
additional APIs for managing cloud Infrastructure)

Let's discuss about OVM 3.x integration.

Thanks,

Choonho Son

Re: [Discussion] OVM 3.x Integration in the CloudStack

Posted by Choonho Son <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jason,
The answer of your question can be seen by following reply.
Frank(Citrix) and our company(KT) developed OVM 2.x integration.
And we also want to integrate OVM 3.x.
.
Hi Frank,
I tested Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c's(EM12c) Cloud API.
The concept of EM12c is similar with CloudStack and works well. (But
still lack of functionality)

The possible APIs are:
- GetCloud	 Retrieving Cloud Details
- GetZone	 Retrieving Zone Details
- GetVDC	         Retrieving VDC Details
- DeployVM	 Deploy VM in Zone or VDC
- GetVM	          Retrieving VM Details
- ControlVM	 Control VM status
- GetServiceTemplates	 Retrieving Service Templates Details

But Enterprise Manager Ops Center(may be sub system of Enterprise
Manager) has full functionality of infrastructure.
So CloudStack can use EM12c for VM control and OpsCenter for
infrastructure control(like create zone, pod, network ...)

I think this is directly related with VM Manager's internal API which
is tcp or tcps connection.
If oracle provides VM Manager's internal API, CloudStack can use it
like Vmware integration.

In addition, EM12c can synchronize contents with VM Manager. So we can
use CloudStack and VMManager and EM12c.

I hope Jason will give us more clues.

Thanks

Posted by Frank Zhang <Fr...@citrix.com>.