Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Jean-Guillaume LALANNE <je...@coming.fr> on 2001/03/07 11:10:13 UTC

SAP Connector and SOAP

Hi,

I've been interested a lot in your recent emails. I am indeed trying with my
company to evaluate the
opportunity for us to develop a J2EE connector towards SAP R3 V4.0 for one
of our clients by using SOAP.
We don't have so much knowledge on SAP and its specific language ABAP.
Actually we are looking for
information, we are pretty new inSAP development environment. So, first, if
you know some bookmarks
about SAP XML standards and SAP COM Interfaces ...we are more than
interested (Of course, if this technologies
are not totally proprietary ...in fact, we don't have any clue about the
status of these SAP modules ).

Secondly, it would be nice, if you could give us some kind of answer (or
redirect us to other people or mailing lists
that are, to your point of view, able to answer us ) about the following
questions:

* What are the possible entry points for SAP ? Is it possible to access via
the http protocol ?
    Herr Scherer was talking about java socket connection and "handwritten"
header request (with its own content-type) and xml file.
    Is this not by-passing the transaction managed by the core SAP
application ?

* What about the COM implementation from the SAP side ? Does this
implementation exist ?
    If yes, is the global API, or a part of it, in the public domain ? Do we
or our client need to buy a licence ?

* What about the XML messaging standard accepted by SAP ? Are they specific
SAP or openned to biztalk , ebXML, RosettaNet, etc ...?
    In other words, are the XML enveloppes specific SAP ??

* This is linked to the two previous questions : what are the current way to
access SAP business process (services) and to access SAP data model (data) ?
    Are these process and these data distributed (I guess so !!!) and
transactionnaly managed (two-phase commit method or other method ???)

* What about the current implementation of SOAP in SAP ? If COM is already
wrapping some ABAP functionalities, does MS SOAP rpcrouter has already
been integrated in the SAP side ?

I am sorry to boring for all these boring questions but we are in demands
for info, and, because I've seen your mails on the Apache SOAP mailing list,
I am taking
the opportunity to contact you in order to get info, tips or bookmarks.

I thank you in advance for your help.
Best Regards
Jean-Guillaume LALANNE

###########################
Jean-Guillaume LALANNE
Software Architect
COMING
MARSEILLE
E-Mail: jglalanne@coming.fr

Posted by "Jose A. Contreras" <JA...@Computer.org>.
Without claiming to be a SAP expert, here we go... You have two
opportunities of integration with SAP/R3 (without going into ABAP details),
you can use the DCOM connector and therefore use something like IdooXoap C++
or you can use the Java connector and use Apache SOAP. The connectors allow
you to use BAPIs or iDOCs which are, in essence, SAP/R3 functional units.
Thinking about it, it should be relatively easy then, to execute those from
a SOAP call. How's that..
Hope it helps,
Jose A. Contreras

BTW: If you or your customer has a valid SAP account you can peruse SAP's
knowledge repository which should clue you in.

RE: SAP Connector and SOAP