Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org> on 2004/04/04 14:53:13 UTC

Updates to build-ant1.5

Peoples,

I've just tried to move all the functionality from build.xml into
build-ant1.5.xml.  In particular

- samples exist and run
- tests now run
- header at startup (version etc.)
- build src and distribution archives
- external call to forrest to build docs

Could people have a look?  I've tried to strip everything right back to
basics, but there may be simpler/cleaner ways to do things, so feel free
to comment and/or change directly!

Are we happy to move to this as the formal build.xml?

I really want to get a release out in the next few days, so let me know.

Cheers,
	Berin

Re: Updates to build-ant1.5

Posted by Erwin van der Koogh <vd...@apache.org>.
>>> - tests now run
>>
>> They didn't before? I changed it to not rely on a junit.jar in the lib
>> directory, but instead on a junit included in the ant lib directory.
>> But I  noticed that you put the junit jar back into the classpath.
>> Didn't it work  for you? Or did you not have junit in your ant lib
>> directory?
>

> Oops.  My deepest apologies - they did work.  What didn't work was the
> specific tests (ant -f build-ant1.5 test_xenc).  I got them working, but
> it was a very minor change.

No problem :) I was just wondering if they were working or not. It might
have been something to do with the particular version of ant or jdk I was
using.

> The ant one works fine if you are using a <junit> task (which is how ant
> test works), but the test_xenc stuff calles junit from a java task.
> Probably the cleaner way to fix it would be to set up test_xenc as a junit
> task.

I'll see if I can get the other tests to be junit tasks as well.

>> I was also wondering why you had a commented out <!--path
>> refid="id.classpath.coverage" /--> in your id.classpath, where I didn't
>>  have it in the original, but maybe I have commented it out in the
>> meantime  :)
>

> I don't *think* I touched that.  I also just checked the cvs record (BTW -
> did I tell people that the cvs mailing list is now archived at
> xml.apache.org/mail/security-cvs ?) and it doesn't appear I changed it, so
> I'm blaming you <GRIN>.

Oh yeah.. blame me :)
I don't mind.. not at all.

You also forgot to mention CVS commits are archived, but thanks for doing
it.

>> Well.. I have been playing around with making 3 build files to split up
>>  functionality.
>>
>> How about we have seperate build files for:
>>
>> - Samples
>> - Distributions
>> - Normal development (compile, test etc)
>

> I like that.  I assume they would all be included into the one high level
> build.xml?  My only constraint woudl be can we wait until post 1.1?  I'm
> already wary that I'm doing some large changes to the build file just
> prior to release.

I am not sure it would be feasible to have them all included into one big
happy build file. But even if they didn't it would be too hard. Just add a
-f build-sample.xml option to ant and it would work.

>>> Are we happy to move to this as the formal build.xml?
>>
>> I can't wait to get rid of the beast :)
>
> <GRIN>.  I'll take that as a +1.  It's got +1 from me as well.  If I get
> no vetos, lets make the change.  We can rename the old one
> build-ant.deprecated or some such.

And yes that was a +1 ;-)

Erwin

Kill and Switch (Re: Updates to build-ant1.5)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
+1 (non-binding) to kill the build.xml
+1 to rename build-ant1.5.xml to build.xml :)

-- dims

=====

Re: Updates to build-ant1.5

Posted by Axl Mattheus <Ax...@Sun.COM>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:

>>>- tests now run
>>>

>>They didn't before? I changed it to not rely on a junit.jar in the lib
>>directory, but instead on a junit included in the ant lib directory.
>>But I  noticed that you put the junit jar back into the classpath.
>>Didn't it work  for you? Or did you not have junit in your ant lib
>>directory?
>>

>Oops.  My deepest apologies - they did work.  What didn't work was the
>specific tests (ant -f build-ant1.5 test_xenc).  I got them working, but
>it was a very minor change.
>
>The ant one works fine if you are using a <junit> task (which is how ant
>test works), but the test_xenc stuff calles junit from a java task.
>Probably the cleaner way to fix it would be to set up test_xenc as a junit
>task.
>

>>I was also wondering why you had a commented out <!--path
>>refid="id.classpath.coverage" /--> in your id.classpath, where I didn't
>> have it in the original, but maybe I have commented it out in the
>>meantime  :)
>>

>I don't *think* I touched that.  I also just checked the cvs record (BTW -
>did I tell people that the cvs mailing list is now archived at
>xml.apache.org/mail/security-cvs ?) and it doesn't appear I changed it, so
>I'm blaming you <GRIN>.
>

>>In any case I am fairly certain it can go :)
>>

>>>- header at startup (version etc.)
>>>- build src and distribution archives
>>>- external call to forrest to build docs
>>>
>>>Could people have a look?  I've tried to strip everything right back
>>>to basics, but there may be simpler/cleaner ways to do things, so feel
>>>free to comment and/or change directly!
>>>

>>Well.. I have been playing around with making 3 build files to split up
>> functionality.
>>
>>How about we have seperate build files for:
>>
>>- Samples
>>- Distributions
>>- Normal development (compile, test etc)
>>

>I like that.  I assume they would all be included into the one high level
>build.xml?  My only constraint woudl be can we wait until post 1.1?  I'm
>already wary that I'm doing some large changes to the build file just
>prior to release.

+1.

Re: Updates to build-ant1.5

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.

Re: Updates to build-ant1.5

Posted by Erwin van der Koogh <vd...@apache.org>.
> I've just tried to move all the functionality from build.xml into
> build-ant1.5.xml.  In particular
>
> - samples exist and run
> - tests now run

They didn't before? I changed it to not rely on a junit.jar in the lib
directory, but instead on a junit included in the ant lib directory. But I
noticed that you put the junit jar back into the classpath. Didn't it work
for you? Or did you not have junit in your ant lib directory?

I was also wondering why you had a commented out <!--path
refid="id.classpath.coverage" /--> in your id.classpath, where I didn't
have it in the original, but maybe I have commented it out in the meantime
:)