Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/04/18 01:49:07 UTC

[spearhead] random thoughts only :D

Merlin
------
While I think it makes sense for Steve to continue on an evolutionary
pattern of taking merlin to new heights (I think there is a lot of value
in this package, the surface of what it can do barely scratched), it
doesn't for me. There are simply too many semantics, too many
(non-)assumptions I will have to digest, too many features I really
don't need.

I thought about turning merlin upside down and inside out to rip out all
of the things I didn't like or didn't understand, and I've done some
experimentation, but things just fall over to easily. The cyclic depency
  metrics maven generates tell that story. Besides that, turning things
upside down because I don't understand them would be annoying to Steve
and to merlin users at little gain.

Phoenix
-------
While I think phoenix provides a powerful base with a potential for
expanding into a platform supporting all container features we need, I
feel it does not serve phoenix well to have a radical unstable branch. I
don't want to dillute the brand, and I want to experiment.

Fortress
--------
Fortress is real nice, but it still carries the burden of legacy support
for ECM, including some of its design decisions which I don't like. I
don't want those in the back of my mind while working on a container.

Plexus
------
Plexus is outside of my sphere of influence. I like Jason and I think
all the other people working on it are pretty cool people as well, but
it is clear plexus development is driven by immediate commercial need,
and I've recently decided I am going to stay away from "the business
world" feel for as long as I can.

Jicarilla
---------
This is the name of my private playground at SF (it really is no more or
less than that;
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jicarilla/). It contains
a version (I have several wildly varying setups on my local machine) of
a much more general framework than avalon, and it pretty much is crap to
use (though there's an HTTP parser with potential in there, if anyone
feels like doing a clean HTTP stack ;). These experiments have reassured
my belief that what I've began to think about more and more as "poor
man's aspectj" coupled with strong SoC & IoC is where we should go. IOW,
  Jicarilla for me confirms avalon-framework should stay the basis of
the container-component contract.

...spearheading lots of talk
----------------------------
I've taken a rather detailed look over the last few months at merlin,
phoenix, plexus and fortress. Of these, I like the clean composition and
coding of phoenix, the simplicity of fortress, the down-to-earth
business-oriented feel of plexus, the general project setup and
conceptual organisation of merlin, and all the developers. I have yet to
take a more detailed look at EOB, which I think has some valuable ideas
(XP! yeah!) to harvest/digest as well. I've also looked at
non-avalon-style appservers, like JBoss, Equinox, netbeans, Jetty,
Tomcat, etc. And I've looked at "border tech" like xdoclet, keel,
cocoon, xforge, james, turbine, maven, jelly, FOP, gump. I am almost
done with my overview ;)

I've pretty much made up my mind about the features in most of those
containers that I would want to see merged into "something new". I am
planning to start exploring these thoughts in more detail over the next
few weeks using RT posts. To give the code that is the subject of these
thoughts a name, I'm going to use "spearhead". I am hoping this talk
will lead to a positive "my thoughts to your thoughts, your thoughts to
my thoughts" feedback loop with y'all.

I am also still hoping for more entries into the most silly picture
contest :D

I don't really envision where these talks should lead to at all, iow, it
is specifically not my plan to actually develop a container  called
"spearhead". It'll be a thought experiment. Expect lots of ascii art :D

g'night,

- LSD

Re: [spearhead] random thoughts only :D

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> Fortress
> --------
> Fortress is real nice, but it still carries the burden of legacy support
> for ECM, including some of its design decisions which I don't like. I
> don't want those in the back of my mind while working on a container.

Out of curiosity, which ones?  To be fair, there are a couple that I
think need to be changed, but I believe I can handle that without
breaking backwards compatability.

> ...spearheading lots of talk
> ----------------------------
> I've taken a rather detailed look over the last few months at merlin,
> phoenix, plexus and fortress. Of these, I like the clean composition and
> coding of phoenix, the simplicity of fortress, the down-to-earth
> business-oriented feel of plexus, the general project setup and
> conceptual organisation of merlin, and all the developers. I have yet to
> take a more detailed look at EOB, which I think has some valuable ideas
> (XP! yeah!) to harvest/digest as well. I've also looked at
> non-avalon-style appservers, like JBoss, Equinox, netbeans, Jetty,
> Tomcat, etc. And I've looked at "border tech" like xdoclet, keel,
> cocoon, xforge, james, turbine, maven, jelly, FOP, gump. I am almost
> done with my overview ;)

Simplicity was a specific design goal with Fortress--which is something
that is hard to achieve.  It looks like you have been busy, so I look
forward to hearing more.

> I've pretty much made up my mind about the features in most of those
> containers that I would want to see merged into "something new". I am
> planning to start exploring these thoughts in more detail over the next
> few weeks using RT posts. To give the code that is the subject of these
> thoughts a name, I'm going to use "spearhead". I am hoping this talk
> will lead to a positive "my thoughts to your thoughts, your thoughts to
> my thoughts" feedback loop with y'all.

If you've got a laundry list, put it up on the WIKI and post a link.
I have what I would like to pursue as well--I'm sure theres a ton of
overlap.

> I am also still hoping for more entries into the most silly picture
> contest :D

Unless you send us all digital cameras, it will probably not happen from
me ;P

> I don't really envision where these talks should lead to at all, iow, it
> is specifically not my plan to actually develop a container  called
> "spearhead". It'll be a thought experiment. Expect lots of ascii art :D

It is good to see where common points are, and what can be learned from
the different implementations.

-----Chris Rock

Re: [spearhead] random thoughts only :D

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

> I am also still hoping for more entries into the most silly picture
> contest :D

Leo:

I'll have you know that you were the center of an international
controversy last night.  I explained to a couple of friends that this
particular "individual" named Leo Simons was requesting damaging and
incriminating information about yours truly.  I explained to my two
friends that in all honestly I could not locate any damaging or
incriminating evidence (irrespective of a sustained and systematic
assessment of all available digital information).  As it turns out
((much to my surprise) - one of these guys (SF origin whose name shall
not be disclosed here) claims to have multiple examples of digital
transgressions and other assorted memorabilia (this just goes to show
that you can't trust Americans no mater which coast they live on).

He requested that I provide him with this list address however I took
the 5th and for what it's worth it seems to have worked. However, you
will be pleased to know that actions are in place at a global scale to
bring together some digital content that will hopefully satisfy your
curiosity without necessarily breaching any recognized rules of conduct
(a.k.a plausible deniability).

As a side note - I don't have a digital camera - don;t like them - I
prefer an my old B&W Pentax (actually the Pentax isn't B&W but the film
is).  I took my first good picture on that camera back when I was about
a couple of younger than you are now.  I've still go that picture. One
of these shots was just plain magic (sort of like understanding Merlin
and hense this totally unnecessay email but I know Paul's reading so
I'll stop rambling and get to the punchline).

It's a picture of a jaguar leaping off the bonnet (hood) of a vehicle of
the same name - springtime, early morning, Hyde Park (Sydney Aust.) -
sun rising, due drop glistening on the cat's eye, the cat's alive, the
trees in the background - out of focus - like a jungle. It's an image
all about placing yourself in a particular point of abstraction and
having the confidence to let everything unfold.

Spot the parallel?

Cheers, Steve.

;-)

Stephen J. McConnell