Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Nick Lothian <ni...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/11 07:50:57 UTC

[feedparser] Security patch

Hi,

I'm a developer on the ROME RSS/Atom parser project
(http://rome.dev.java.net/). We were recently notified of a possible
security issue in our code
(http://www.somebits.com/weblog/tech/bad/xmlCode.html), which we've
fixed.

I'm aware that FeedParser is a dormant project, but the attached patch
will fix the same problem in the Apache-Commons project version.

I've also attached updated FeedParserImpl.java suitable for using with
Kevin's TailRank version (http://tailrank.com/code.php) (Hi Kevin!)

SAXBuilder.java is needed for both versions.

There is also an example RSS file which triggers the bug. (You'll need
some kind of monitoring tool to check for connections to example.com
on port 80).

Hopefully someone will find these useful.

Regards
  Nick Lothian
  nlothian@apache.org

Re: [feedparser] Security patch

Posted by Nick Lothian <ni...@gmail.com>.
Did this get applied? I don't think I've seen the commit email

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by Nick Lothian <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@tailrank.com>.
On 10/10/06, Nick Lothian <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a developer on the ROME RSS/Atom parser project
> (http://rome.dev.java.net/). We were recently notified of a possible
> security issue in our code
> (http://www.somebits.com/weblog/tech/bad/xmlCode.html), which we've
> fixed.
>
> I'm aware that FeedParser is a dormant project, but the attached patch
> will fix the same problem in the Apache-Commons project version.

FeedParser def isn't dormant....

http://code.tailrank.com/feedparser

I just haven't officially announced that I'm moving it out of Apache.  Just
been to busy with official work to be a good maintainer :-/

I've also attached updated FeedParserImpl.java suitable for using with
> Kevin's TailRank version (http://tailrank.com/code.php) (Hi Kevin!)

Sweet.

SAXBuilder.java is needed for both versions.

> There is also an example RSS file which triggers the bug. (You'll need
> some kind of monitoring tool to check for connections to example.com
> on port 80).
>
> Hopefully someone will find these useful.

Interesting...... I'll take a look.

Thanks.

Kevin

--