Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Dan D." <da...@dubomail.com> on 2007/07/29 01:33:10 UTC

Re: If xerces is in WEB-INF/lib this is used for deployment/web.xml parsing on tomcat6 (bug or feature?)

I'm wondering if anyone has any input regarding this?  I am having a similar
problem.

We are currently working on upgrading from Tomcat 5 (5.0.27) to Tomcat 6
(6.0.13) to take advantage of the better resource utilization.  We are also
going from mod_jk2 to mod_jk (1.2.23), as we have had issues with jk2.

This is in a shared environment, so I do not know ahead of time what our
users will be loading in their webapps, and we have too many users to be
able to go through all of their apps and be sure they work properly.

I do have a sampling of apps that I am using to attempt to get a rough
feeling of how the migration will go, however.

There are a couple issues I have run into thus far, the xerces issue is one
of them.  What I'm wondering is if there is a way to override the
functionality of allowing the WEB-INF/lib/xercesImpl.jar and
WEB-INF/lib/xml-apis.jar (and potentially other system jar files) being used
for a given app?  Since we are not using xerces as the xml parser (crimson
is still being used here), it causes the web-app to fail, as it can't find
the ${java.home}/jre/lib/xerces.properties file.

Any advice would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,
Dan