Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by recursion <ba...@yahoo.com> on 2009/06/23 09:46:30 UTC

Database support

Hello, all,

I was wondering what kind of databases is OpenEJB currently supporting ? Are
there any kind of tests (for example, running some JPA-involved application)
that are regularly executed against the databases that OpenEJB supports ? As
far as David told me, OpenEJB can be plugged with an arbitrary 3rd party JPA
provider via the standart approach, which is really awesome. In the docu, i
also found that there is possibility to configure different data sources.
But what about the db part ?

Thank you in advance,

recursion.

Re: Database support

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jul 7, 2009, at 1:45 AM, recursion wrote:

> Yes,
>
> I remember this feature from one of your home pages. But doesn't
> this mean
> that if i want to deploy a legacy EJB 2.1 CMP application on
> OpenEJB, then i
> should necessarily plug in a JPA provider ? Normally, CMP doesn't
> require
> JPA ? Is this some kind of theoretical limitation ? (it's clear that
> it is
> not a practical limitation, since with almost no efforts one could
> configure
> either the default OpenJPA or some other JPA provider).

If you need to deploy a CMP application there's no JPA related work
that you need to do.  We do all the work under the covers and you are
not exposed to anything JPA related unless you want to be.

I don't know that I'd describe it as any sort of "limitation" as you
can do all the things with CMP as before with no extra burden.  It
does open up some more elegant ways to port a CMP application to JPA
that are otherwise not possible.

-David

Re: Database support

Posted by recursion <ba...@yahoo.com>.
Yes,

I remember this feature from one of your home pages. But doesn't this mean
that if i want to deploy a legacy EJB 2.1 CMP application on OpenEJB, then i
should necessarily plug in a JPA provider ? Normally, CMP doesn't require
JPA ? Is this some kind of theoretical limitation ? (it's clear that it is
not a practical limitation, since with almost no efforts one could configure
either the default OpenJPA or some other JPA provider).

Best Regards,
recursion,

Re: Database support

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jun 23, 2009, at 12:46 AM, recursion wrote:

> I was wondering what kind of databases is OpenEJB currently
> supporting ? Are
> there any kind of tests (for example, running some JPA-involved
> application)
> that are regularly executed against the databases that OpenEJB
> supports ? As
> far as David told me, OpenEJB can be plugged with an arbitrary 3rd
> party JPA
> provider via the standart approach, which is really awesome. In the
> docu, i
> also found that there is possibility to configure different data
> sources.
> But what about the db part ?

The one area where an EJB Container implementation would normally have
to do rigorous database specific testing is in CMP.  We've freed
ourselves up from that responsibility by throwing away our old CMP
code and re-implementing the CMP API on top of  JPA, specifically
OpenJPA.  So we no longer have any code that could be database specific.

The real question is what kind of database compatibility testing is
done by the JPA provider and JDBC driver you use.  I know OpenJPA is
quite heavily tested as it was the primary implementation for WebLogic
before BEA was purchased and is still the primary implementation for
WebSphere.

-David