Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Daniel McBrearty <da...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/01 09:49:34 UTC

using light/heavy apache

Hi

I saw a longish article on the site a while back that described how to
deploy a site so that a lightweight apache instance serves static
files, while s seperate server handles mod_perl stuff. Can't seem to
find it back though.

I'm in the the process of rewriting my site using catalyst, but also I
realised that a lot of content can just be static files, so this makes
sense. I guess the lightweight server needs to be able to identify
content that is for mod_perl by the uri, so one way might be to serve
all active content from something like (www.engoi.com/active/... ).
But, as the first part of the uri will normally be the user language,
( www.engoi.com/en/ ...) I'd rather not do it like that.

Just wondering what my options are in configuring this. Can anyone
point me at useful links, or give some hints?

thank you.

Daniel

--
Daniel McBrearty
email : danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
www.engoi.com : the multi - language vocab trainer
BTW : 0873928131

Re: using light/heavy apache

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Daniel McBrearty wrote:
> Hi
>
> I saw a longish article on the site a while back that described how to
> deploy a site so that a lightweight apache instance serves static
> files, while s seperate server handles mod_perl stuff. Can't seem to
> find it back though.
http://perl.apache.org/docs/tutorials/apps/scale_etoys/etoys.html
?

Yeah basically your proxy layer can server the static stuff directly or
can ProxyPass / mod_rewrite to a slim server for static stuff and to a
different one for your mod_perl related "application" layer for the
dynamic stuff.

1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

I never had a dream come true
'Til the day that I found you.
Even though I pretend that I've moved on
You'll always be my baby.
I never found the words to say
You're the one I think about each day
And I know no matter where life takes me to
A part of me will always be...
A part of me will always be with you.

Re: using light/heavy apache

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
Daniel McBrearty wrote:
> I saw a longish article on the site a while back that described how to
> deploy a site so that a lightweight apache instance serves static
> files, while s seperate server handles mod_perl stuff. Can't seem to
> find it back though.

The best writeup on it is here:
http://www.modperlbook.org/html/ch12_01.html

> But, as the first part of the uri will normally be the user language,
> ( www.engoi.com/en/ ...) I'd rather not do it like that.

That's no problem.  You can use a regex in your ProxyPass setting or use
mod_rewrite with its proxy integration to identify these URLs.  It
should be able to handle just about any URL scheme.

- Perrin

Re: using light/heavy apache

Posted by Daniel McBrearty <da...@gmail.com>.
thanks very much guys - that's very useful info.

--
Daniel McBrearty
email : danielmcbrearty at gmail.com

Re: using light/heavy apache

Posted by Jonathan <jv...@2xlp.com>.
On Dec 1, 2006, at 2:20 PM, Frank Wiles wrote:

>    You might want to look at PerlBal (http://www.danga.com/perlbal/)
>    also to use in place of a light Apache.  It's lighter then a light
>    Apache and has some other interesting features.

pesonally, i'm a huge fan of nginx ( http://wiki.codemongers.com )
using it, i've really gotten a lot more out of my mod_perl servers.

// Jonathan Vanasco

Re: using light/heavy apache

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.

   Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>