Posted to dev@tamaya.apache.org by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/17 22:17:17 UTC

Modules Overview

​Hi all

I have put together a short overview about the current ​
Tamaya Module
​s, including my personal recommendation, which modules should stay in the
core project and which modules may be moved into a separate repo. I also
added s small note on the most important task, which IMO have to be done
per module.​

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aBGG7h7okdiW0wzCKa7VfuQY8BLH6q4-iIfg7FOo67A/edit?usp=sharing
​​

​J Anatole​

Re: Modules Overview

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
I think that could make sense, especially for many that connect Tamaya to
other (mostly Apache) projects like Camel or Commons Configuration.

We spoke about separating other efforts (e.g. support for Units via JSR 363
or Monetary configuration if there are business cases for it based on JSR
354) but most existing modules on that list fall more or less under Apache,
so it could be good t simply put them in a separate repo and also decouple
their development lifecycles (i.E. not a single Jenkins/Maven build to
"build them all";-)

Werner

Re: Modules Overview

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: Modules Overview

Posted by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net>.
Please forget this mail. I somehow missed the other mails of this thread.

--
N Oliver B. Fischer
A Sch�nhauser Allee 64, 10437 Berlin, Deutschland/Germany

Re: Modules Overview

Posted by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net>.

Re: Modules Overview

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a good idea.
The "formats / types" one could also include the currently experimental
support of Commnons Config, Typesafe Config or similar backing modules.

Werner

Re: Modules Overview

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 6:50 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 12:28 PM Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Sorry but I don't understand why every single extension must be developed
> > by the ASF, that makes no sense.
> >
> > E.g. a "DeviceMap competitor" or project that offers similar
> functionality
> > for the Apache Webserver, http://www.apachemobilefilter.org/ is not an
> ASF
> > project either ;-)
> >

> Thanks for pointing this out.  This is probably a TM violation.  I'll
> follow up outside of Tamaya.

Please do, especially the use of the "Apache" name could be an issue, but I
leave that to you.

> > If existing ones like Oliver's Joda module have to stay there, I could
> > understand that (especially if the package remains "org.apache.*") but
> > nobody could prevent me, Otavio or others from offering Tamaya (or
> Archaius
> > or Apache Commons Config;-) support under
> > https://github.com/unitsofmeasurement/uom-lib or a similar module to
> > combine it with JSR 363.
> >

> The code has been developed under the ASF.  If you're going to fork it,
> fine, fork it.  No one is going to stop you as long as you have proper
> notice/license in place.  However, an Apache project cannot have multiple
> organizations running it.  Apache projects are a group of individuals, not
> a set of organizations.  If its Tamaya anything, its an apache name.  You
> can build brand new extensions for Tamaya outside of the ASF, but the
> current suite is owned by the ASF.
>

> > That statement forces me to scratch another "itch" again, so if it would
> be
> > a violation for Oliver, Phil or Anatole to put certain extension modules
> > (like the JodaTime one) into their own privat GitHub repository, then
> Mark
> > must certainly violate what the ASF expects by putting his stuff into his
> > own private repo under "org.apache.geronimo":
> >
> > https://github.com/struberg/javaConfig/tree/master/impl/
> src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/config
> >

> > Or can you explain the difference?
> >

> Sure, I'll explain the difference.  1. No, Mark cannot use
> "org.apache.geronimo" unless he plans to donate to Geronimo (which he
> does).  2. If its source code from Tamaya, you're free to fork it, its just
> no longer an ASF represented project.  It gets very hairy, and as a result
> I would prefer to not introduce an outside issue like this.  Basically, we
> find podlings doing this a lot and it is not the Apache Way.  Its fine to
> build a side-community derived from the main community.  Its not OK when
> the side community is the same as the main community and discussions around
> the side community happen within the ASF's resources.

So e.g. for Oliver's JodaTime support it is a good question where to best
put that, but either under the "Type support" kind of repo or the one for
"Integration with other technologies and efforts" it should certainly be
able to keep it then.

An interesting question would be Oliver's statement
>If they are finished we should be included in our extension projects.

Judging from the experience with DeviceMap (where we saw a vast majority of
the project being donated by OpenDDR.org and its GitHub repositories, later
a former  team member forked a fraction of a "design study" on how JSON
could be used into his own GitHub repo) there are possible ways for Tamaya
to accept some extension developed indepently not only when it was started.
As well as possible ways to fork certain parts. If they were found too far
away from the core interest and goals of Tamaya or say only have very few
who would ever contribute.

> > I don't care what Mark does in that repo, that's between him and the ASF,
> > but I believe you're also in the  board, so I'm sure you know best if he
> > violates ASF code of conduct or other regulations by doing that ;-)
> >

> Sounds very off topic to me.

I don't see why, but you answered the questions on his code above ;-)

 Werner

Re: Modules Overview

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: Modules Overview