Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Burton Goldstein <mg...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/12 22:07:06 UTC

Data recovery

Hello Dev

I over wrote a very important document  that was on a USB drive. This
document that I am trying to retrieve is 122 pages long...I previously
saved 117 pages of this document but there are 5 pages that I am trying to
recover. I wrote this document using openoffice4.0.0 on my HP pc using
windows 7.  I used recovery software to find the data but when I try to
retrieve it, it is in raw data symbols and not in English. I have been
unable to convert this data to English. I can see the dates of my additions
to this document and have saved all of this data. Is there a way that I can
convert this into English?

Thank you
Burt

Re: Data recovery

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 13:07:06 -0800
Burton Goldstein <mg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Dev
>
> I over wrote a very important document  that was on a USB drive. This
> document that I am trying to retrieve is 122 pages long...I previously
> saved 117 pages of this document but there are 5 pages that I am trying to
> recover. I wrote this document using openoffice4.0.0 on my HP pc using
> windows 7.  I used recovery software to find the data but when I try to
> retrieve it, it is in raw data symbols and not in English. I have been
> unable to convert this data to English. I can see the dates of my additions
> to this document and have saved all of this data. Is there a way that I can
> convert this into English?
>
> Thank you
> Burt

First of all, work with a copy of the file, so that you have an untouched master.  Outside of OpenOffice, rename it to type .zip.  Then use the system archive manager to open it (usually a double click on the .zip file will do so).  If it opens, extract content.xml and your content will  be there, unformatted.  You can view content.xml using a plain text editor, or an XML editor or often your system browser.

If the file does not open with the archiver you may be able to recover it using methods for repairing damaged .zip files (I am not aware of specifics for your operating system - Google is your friend), but it is likely that such a damaged file will be irreparable or, if repaired, contain only part of the original content.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Data recovery