Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andrew Sasak <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/11 18:41:15 UTC

question about svnadmin load

How does load behave when revisions in the dumpfile already exist in
the repository? In other words if I ran the following commands:
svnadmin dump -r 0:2542 repo1 | svnadmin load repo2
svnadmin dump -r 2000:HEAD --incremental repo1 | svnadmin load repo2

The question is because I need to maintain repository mirror that must
be offline. I'm wondering if I can overlap dump files so that I don't
need to keep precise track of the previously synced revision. I
haven't seen this topic mentioned anywhere.

Re: question about svnadmin load

Posted by Mark K <ma...@mitsein.net>.
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:19:31 -0500
Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2008, at 13:41, Andrew Sasak wrote:
>
> > How does load behave when revisions in the dumpfile already exist in
> > the repository?
>
> If you load a dumpfile into a repository that is not empty, then the
> revisions from the dumpfile will get added to the repository after
> the revisions that are already there and revisions from your dump
> will get renumbered as necessary.
>
> > In other words if I ran the following commands:
> > svnadmin dump -r 0:2542 repo1 | svnadmin load repo2
>
> Revisions 0 thru 2545 of repo1 will be loaded into repo2. If repo2
> was empty, then repo2 will now have 2545 revisions.
>
> > svnadmin dump -r 2000:HEAD --incremental repo1 | svnadmin load repo2
>
> This will try to load revisions 2000 thru HEAD of repo1 into repo2
> again. This will fail because the change made in revision 2000 in
> repo1 already was made in repo2.
>
> > The question is because I need to maintain repository mirror that
> > must be offline.
>
> Then you should look at the tool svk.
>
> http://svk.bestpractical.com/
>
> > I'm wondering if I can overlap dump files so that I don't
> > need to keep precise track of the previously synced revision. I
> > haven't seen this topic mentioned anywhere.
>
> You can't.

you can also look into using svnsync.

--
Mark K

Re: question about svnadmin load

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 11, 2008, at 16:31, Andrew Sasak wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jul 11, 2008, at 13:41, Andrew Sasak wrote:
>>
>>> How does load behave when revisions in the dumpfile already exist in
>>> the repository?
>>
>> If you load a dumpfile into a repository that is not empty, then the
>> revisions from the dumpfile will get added to the repository after
>> the
>> revisions that are already there and revisions from your dump will
>> get
>> renumbered as necessary.
>>
>>> In other words if I ran the following commands:
>>> svnadmin dump -r 0:2542 repo1 | svnadmin load repo2
>>
>> Revisions 0 thru 2545 of repo1 will be loaded into repo2. If repo2
>> was
>> empty, then repo2 will now have 2545 revisions.
>>
>>> svnadmin dump -r 2000:HEAD --incremental repo1 | svnadmin load repo2
>>
>> This will try to load revisions 2000 thru HEAD of repo1 into repo2
>> again.
>> This will fail because the change made in revision 2000 in repo1
>> already was
>> made in repo2.
>>
>>> The question is because I need to maintain repository mirror that
>>> must
>>> be offline.
>>
>> Then you should look at the tool svk.
>>
>> http://svk.bestpractical.com/
>>
>>> I'm wondering if I can overlap dump files so that I don't
>>> need to keep precise track of the previously synced revision. I
>>> haven't seen this topic mentioned anywhere.
>>
>> You can't.
>
> Thank you for a great response. I had considered using svk, but using
> svn seemed simpler and provided all the necessary features. The
> purpose is to provide an easy mechanism for updating the code on
> machines that are on their own LAN, but completely disconnected from
> the rest of the world. These machines are used for testing and
> debugging. Being able to diff changes made while debugging as well as
> switching to previous revisions, etc is an added bonus. The only
> feature SVK would give us that I am aware of, is being able to make
> commits to the LAN repo. I don't see enough value in this ability to
> warrant switching to svk, having revision numbers mismatch the source
> repo, as well as less polished (no offense to svk) and a smaller user
> community to turn to for support. I appreciate the suggestion though,
> and if I'm wrong any any of my statements about svk, feel free to
> correct me.

svk is based on svn, so you get all the svn features with svk. There
should be no difference in revision numbers, as I understand it. The
benefit in your case would be to have a local copy of the repository.

Another option would be to use svnsync to maintain a copy of the
primary repository.

Please remember to Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not
just to me.

Re: question about svnadmin load

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.