Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Dylan Hutchison <dh...@mit.edu> on 2015/03/09 02:47:32 UTC

One instance, multiple Accumulo versions?

Are there guidelines on how to test different versions of Accumulo server
code for the same instance?  Or is the way to do it to use separate
instances, i.e., separate directories within Hadoop, for each version of
Accumulo we want to test?

I have been using the 1.6.1 release on my local computer and switched to
building from the trunk (1.7.0-SNAPSHOT) today, in order to see if an issue
is already fixed in the trunk.  I copied the conf/ files from my 1.6.2
build to the trunk build and couldn't get Accumulo to start properly.

The error is

2015-03-08 21:30:07,542 [server.Accumulo] FATAL: Problem verifying Fate
readiness
org.apache.accumulo.core.client.AccumuloException: Aborting upgrade because
there are *outstanding FATE transactions from a previous Accumulo version*.
Please see the README document for instructions on what to do under your
previous version.
        at
org.apache.accumulo.server.Accumulo.abortIfFateTransactions(Accumulo.java:317)

I then stopped the trunk Accumulo, started and cleanly stopped the 1.6.2
version (all fine), started the trunk version again and same problem.  So I
don't think the problem is stopping Accumulo with outstanding transactions
on the 1.6.2 version.  I looked for the documentation referenced in the
error on upgrading from a previous Accumulo version but could not find it.

Maybe the easiest thing to do is run the trunk version on a separate
instance.  Ideas?  Hadoop version is 2.6.0 and I build the native map, in
case that helps.

Regards,
Dylan Hutchison

Re: One instance, multiple Accumulo versions?

Posted by Dylan Hutchison <dh...@stevens.edu>.
Thanks Mike and Dave.  I saw a outstanding "SUCCESSFUL" FATE transaction
and corrected it.  In the end, I decided to setup two separate instances
since once the 1.7 Accumulo touches an instance, it uses "data format 7"
blocks and renders the instance incompatible with 1.6.x.  The two instances
look stable, thought I haven't tried running them both at once.

Side note: if we notice a bug in the Accumulo trunk (not an Accumulo
release), is the JIRA still the right place to go to document / patch it?

Regards, Dylan Hutchison

--
www.cs.stevens.edu/~dhutchis

Re: One instance, multiple Accumulo versions?

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.
Dylan,