Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Bart Schaefer <ba...@gmail.com> on 2004/08/24 20:35:29 UTC

SA 2.64 vs. ChoiceMail

I just had a ChoiceMail challenge tagged as spam by SA 2.64 with the
following analysis (apologies in advance for line wrapping that may be
inflicted by gmail):

 pts rule name              description
 0.7 FROM_ENDS_IN_NUMS      From: ends in numbers
 0.6 MSG_ID_NO_DOMAIN       No domain part in Message-Id header
 0.3 NO_REAL_NAME           From: does not include a real name
-0.0 BAYES_44               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 44 to 50%
                            [score: 0.4459]
 2.9 FAKED_HOTMAIL_DAV      X-Originating-Email header does not match From
 1.0 FORGED_OUTLOOK_TAGS    Outlook can't send HTML in this format
 0.0 CLICK_BELOW            Asks you to click below
 3.1 FORGED_MUA_OUTLOOK     Forged mail pretending to be from MS Outlook

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with the SA rule
definitions, just providing a heads-up that ChoiceMail may be doing
something stupid.  (Independent of whether it's stupid to filter spam
with challenge/response in the first place.)

Re: SA 2.64 vs. ChoiceMail

Posted by "Michele Neylon : Blacknight Solutions" <mi...@blacknightsolutions.com>.
On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 14:48 -0700, jdow wrote:
> For what it is worth I consider challenge/response as spam

Agreed.
If I am in a good mood I may simply delete it, if I'm in a bad
mood ...............

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions

Re: SA 2.64 vs. ChoiceMail

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
For what it is worth I consider challenge/response as spam if I see the
challenge in my mail box. I tend to prefilter those addresses which do
this to /dev/null, particularly if they come from a mailing list message.
I don't have time to respond to challenges from all and sundry. It is a
VERY broken method.

{^_^}

Re: SA 2.64 vs. ChoiceMail

Posted by mike <mi...@topstexas.com>.
but wait I may have jumped the gun.  my domain is choiceinv.com

Bart Schaefer wrote:

>I just had a ChoiceMail challenge tagged as spam by SA 2.64 with the
>following analysis (apologies in advance for line wrapping that may be
>inflicted by gmail):
>
>Content analysis details:   (8.7 points, 5.0 required)
>
> pts rule name              description
>---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
> 0.7 FROM_ENDS_IN_NUMS      From: ends in numbers
> 0.6 MSG_ID_NO_DOMAIN       No domain part in Message-Id header
> 0.3 NO_REAL_NAME           From: does not include a real name
>-0.0 BAYES_44               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 44 to 50%
>                            [score: 0.4459]
> 0.1 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
> 2.9 FAKED_HOTMAIL_DAV      X-Originating-Email header does not match From
> 1.0 FORGED_OUTLOOK_TAGS    Outlook can't send HTML in this format
> 0.0 CLICK_BELOW            Asks you to click below
> 3.1 FORGED_MUA_OUTLOOK     Forged mail pretending to be from MS Outlook
>
>I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with the SA rule
>definitions, just providing a heads-up that ChoiceMail may be doing
>something stupid.  (Independent of whether it's stupid to filter spam
>with challenge/response in the first place.)

--
Michael H. Collins  Admiral, Penguinista Navy

http://linuxlink.com

/"\    	ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    	No HTML/RTF in email
 x     	No Word docs in email
/ \    	Respect for open standards

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
 - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Re: SA 2.64 vs. ChoiceMail

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 02:35 PM 8/24/2004, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>  2.9 FAKED_HOTMAIL_DAV      X-Originating-Email header does not match From
>  1.0 FORGED_OUTLOOK_TAGS    Outlook can't send HTML in this format
>  0.0 CLICK_BELOW            Asks you to click below
>  3.1 FORGED_MUA_OUTLOOK     Forged mail pretending to be from MS Outlook
>
>I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with the SA rule
>definitions, just providing a heads-up that ChoiceMail may be doing
>something stupid

It looks like choicemail is being heavily penalized for pretending messages
were generated by the local mailclient, even when they were not.

Sidenote:

anyone considered this rule:

         header
CHOICEMAIL_CHALLENGE     exists:X-ChoiceMail-Registration-Request
         score CHOICEMAIL_CHALLENGE      0.1

Of course, you can opt to make the score positive or negative, large or
small, depending on your personal desire to receive or filter choicemail
challenges.

Re: SA 2.64 vs. ChoiceMail

Posted by mike <mi...@topstexas.com>.
Ok..  you lost me.  It is my domain but i know not of this challenge
response?  What stupid thing have I done now.

Thanks ahead

Re: SA 2.64 vs. ChoiceMail

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
> (Independent of whether it's stupid to filter spam with
> challenge/response in the first place.)

I prove (to myself) that I'm a real person every time I delete a
challenge email.  :-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan