Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kathryn Huxtable <ka...@kathrynhuxtable.org> on 2010/03/28 23:39:49 UTC

Deploying site doc to github

I know, I keep harping on using SCMs for storing site documentation. That's because it's cool and cool kids are doing it. ;-)

GitHub has its "pages" feature, described at http://pages.github.com, where if you have a top-level branch in your git repo called "gh-pages" containing web content instead of code, it will be deployed to the web as

	http://username.github.com/repo-name

where "username" is your username and "repo-name" is the name of the repository.

So one thing that would be way cool is if there was a wagon smart enough to deploy to a branch of your current git repository that is not the current branch. Or to *any* arbitrary branch of an arbitrary git repository. Stuff would have to be manually pushed to "origin", but that's not terrible.

Even better would be a way to check out the gh-pages branch from GitHub into a sandbox, replace its contents with the generated site content, thus removing anything that has gone away, and add/commit it and push it back to GitHub.

Someone better informed about how all this wagon stuff works than I am should write this. Otherwise I will and then you'll be sorry because it will suck. I'll have missed some obvious thing I was supposed to have done.

-K