Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by John Hjelmstad <fa...@google.com> on 2008/08/05 19:30:49 UTC

Re: SHINDIG-416 (optimized IE relayless gadgets.rpc technique): concerns?

* restoring window.opener: Fair enough, I'll add this.

* VBScript objects supporting reflection/introspection: this may be so, but
the salient property as far as I see it is that they don't leak their source
creation context ie. the sender's window. This, combined with window.opener
being write-only (so that the MITM attack surmised earlier in this long
discussion isn't feasible), gives me a reasonable amount of confidence in
the technique. But as aforementioned, I can't definitively prove this, as
I'm in the same boat as the vast majority of others in not being a VBScript
"expert."

* Building stuff atop fast cross-domain functionality: Yeah, I suppose it's
a different class of functionality we're discussing here, so this technique
is fundamental to enabling it.

* Pushing out patches for vulnerabilities: I'd also be interested to hear
others' thoughts on how this ought to be managed within Shindig's suite of
deployments. This problem is a wider one than just pertaining to rpc.js.

In sum, I'm still confident (though cautiously so) in the technique, and
think it's worthy enough (reward/risk ratio) to go forward. Thoughts?

John