Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/19 08:42:33 UTC

Releasing runtime

I'd like us to think about releasing a first version of ServiceMix Runtime.
However, we are dependant on a number of snapshots, mainly coming from Felix
(gshell is about to be released, as are the two geronimo spec jars).
It doesn't looks like they will release the Felix snapshots in the coming
days, so we can either:
  1) not release anything
  2) keep snapshot dependencies
  3) internally release timestamped versions of the felix jars

I don't like any of those solutions, so I welcome any opinion

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
To be honest and realistic, I don't expect all the felix jars we need to be
released before one or two months.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Sure, I did not implied to release a 1.0.  The version we want to use should
be discussed too, but I agree we can't release a 1.0 with snapshots inside.
So your proposition makes perfect sense to me.

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

On 20/12/2007, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, I'd rather go 3 (release timestamped versions of felix jars we
> need and put them in our own repo) and release a 1.0-m1.  Thoughts ?
>
> On Dec 19, 2007 10:18 AM, Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be> wrote:
>
> > Guillaume,
> >

> > Couldn't we do another milestone release (e.g. 1.0-M1) and keep the
> > snapshot dependencies for now, releasing a final 1.0 version as soon as
> > final versions are available for all the dependencies?  This way, we can
> > ship a 'pre-first' release to our user base to get some feedback without
> > having to depend on SNAPSHOTs in our final release.
> >

> > Gert
> >

> > Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> > > I'd like us to think about releasing a first version of ServiceMix
> > Runtime.
> > > However, we are dependant on a number of snapshots, mainly coming from
> > Felix
> > > (gshell is about to be released, as are the two geronimo spec jars).
> > > It doesn't looks like they will release the Felix snapshots in the
> > coming
> > > days, so we can either:
> > >   1) not release anything
> > >   2) keep snapshot dependencies
> > >   3) internally release timestamped versions of the felix jars
> > >
> > > I don't like any of those solutions, so I welcome any opinion
> > >

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://open.iona.com

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
+1

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Jeff Yu <je...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks
Jeff

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
Guillaume,

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Actually, we also have dependencies on
   org.apache.felix.shell.tui
   main

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
We already reference our own repo which contains jars not otherwise
available in public repos, so I suppose we could put them there so that
the build can be reproduced at a later time without any problems.
For example, I've already put a timestamped version of mina which contains
a fix that has been commited but not released yet.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing runtime

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
So I've upgraded felix jars to r605854, the geronimo jars are being voted
and gshell vote is over and should be deployed soon. So I think we're nearly
ok.