Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by TomWilcox <wi...@hp.com> on 2009/08/25 16:26:29 UTC

Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: Area Tree Handling

Hi Guys,

Sorry to return your attention to this aging thread!

I am knee deep in IF and I have a been attempting to divine what each of the
different node attributes represent such as bpd (block progression
dimension?), etc.

It would be really good to have a definitive description of the meaning and
function of each of the attribute (and nodes) in an IF document. I have been
searching diligently however I have failed to find any document that
completely satisfies this requirement.

Would be possible for you provide me with a link to a thorough documentation
of the IF format or, if not, perhaps you might be able to provide an
explanation of the attributes important for reading the dimension of a given
block from an IF document (I think position is bpd, ipd, .. but ipda? and
bpda?) and what are the units (millipoints?).

I am very grateful for any assistance.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: Area Tree Handling

Posted by TomWilcox <wi...@hp.com>.
Alright Jeremias I have created a page for the AT XML Documentation on the
FOP wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AreaTreeXMLDocumentation

I have taken the liberty of adding a link to it on the main page to
encourage awareness..

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Posted by TomWilcox <wi...@hp.com>.
OK Can do..

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
> [...]

> >> the
> >> different node attributes represent such as bpd (block progression
> >> dimension?), etc.
> >>
> >> It would be really good to have a definitive description of the meaning
> >> and
> >> function of each of the attribute (and nodes) in an IF document. I have
> >> been
> >> searching diligently however I have failed to find any document that
> >> completely satisfies this requirement.
> >>
> >> Would be possible for you provide me with a link to a thorough
> >> documentation
> >> of the IF format or, if not, perhaps you might be able to provide an
> >> explanation of the attributes important for reading the dimension of a
> >> given
> >> block from an IF document (I think position is bpd, ipd, .. but ipda? and
> >> bpda?) and what are the units (millipoints?).

Jeremias Maerki

Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: Area Tree Handling

Posted by TomWilcox <wi...@hp.com>.
Hi Jeremias and Georg,

Posted by TomWilcox <wi...@hp.com>.
Hi Jeremias and Georg,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
There's no formal documentation of the area tree XML format to date. It
is something very very few people need to use and the whole thing grew
organically over time, so documentation wasn't a top priority. A
contribution in this direction would be highly welcome. I'm happy to
fill in any blanks if such a documentation is started. I don't have time
to write the whole thing myself in the short term.

bpd = block-progression-dimension of the content rectangle of the area
   (= height for lr-tb script)
bpda = allocated bpd = content bpd + spaces + borders + padding

ipd = inline-progression-dimension of the content rectangle of the area
   (= width for lr-tb script)
ipda = allocated ipd = content ipd  + spaces + borders + padding

Units are millipoints (1000ths of a point) as used in most of FOP (most
notably the layout engine).

Please note that our area tree is relatively close to the conceptual
area tree (with its traits) described in the XSL specification. If you
know a bit of the specification, the area tree XML is much easier to
read.

If you look into our layout engine test suite
(test/layoutengine/standard-testcases), you'll find a lot of examples of
what is expected in the area tree for various situations.

HTH

On 25.08.2009 16:26:29 TomWilcox wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Sorry to return your attention to this aging thread!
>
> I am knee deep in IF and I have a been attempting to divine what each of the
> different node attributes represent such as bpd (block progression
> dimension?), etc.
>
> It would be really good to have a definitive description of the meaning and
> function of each of the attribute (and nodes) in an IF document. I have been
> searching diligently however I have failed to find any document that
> completely satisfies this requirement.
>
> Would be possible for you provide me with a link to a thorough documentation
> of the IF format or, if not, perhaps you might be able to provide an
> explanation of the attributes important for reading the dimension of a given
> block from an IF document (I think position is bpd, ipd, .. but ipda? and
> bpda?) and what are the units (millipoints?).
>
> I am very grateful for any assistance.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Tom

Jeremias Maerki

AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: Area Tree Handling

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.
Hi Tom,

bpd is the HEIGHT of the area. prod-id is the reference attribute id. Those are the ones I use extensively.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl