Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by w...@evjohn.com on 2003/06/27 02:20:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Sharing files via the web

I am a customer of a hosting service that uses Apache servers.  Their tech
support cannot answer this question:

I want to upload a file (such as an Excel spreadsheet or a word processing
document),  to my website and have others be able to use the application
(Excel, WordPerfect, etc.)  to open the file, make changes to it and save
the file, overwriting the one on the server.

I have not been able to get any application to be able to write the file
back to the server.  Files always opens in read-only mode.  If I attempt to
write the file back to the server, I am asked for a user name/password.  It
appears that it is asking for the site username/password (the one I use to
access my control panel or FTP to the site), but it will not accept that
one.  Or perhaps it does accept it, but I am told I do not have the "rights
to do this."

The hosting service's tech support says this is beyond the scope of the
support they provide.  I have tries playing around with .htaccess without
success.

How can I accomplish this?  I can have FrontPage extensions installed or
not if that makes a difference.

Many thanks for any help.

Re: [users@httpd] Sharing files via the web

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
w@evjohn.com wrote:
> I want to upload a file (such as an Excel spreadsheet or a word processing
> document),  to my website and have others be able to use the application
> (Excel, WordPerfect, etc.)  to open the file, make changes to it and save
> the file, overwriting the one on the server.

HTTP has a PUT command, but IIRC Apache doesn't support it natively. What
you need is WebDAV (http://www.webdav.org/) and Apache's implementation of
it; mod_dav (http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_dav.html).

I do not have much experience with this but I think WebDAV will do what you
want.

> I have not been able to get any application to be able to write the file
> back to the server.  Files always opens in read-only mode.  If I attempt
> write the file back to the server, I am asked for a user name/password.

This sounds to me, as your host has DAV enabled.

> It appears that it is asking for the site username/password (the one I use
> access my control panel or FTP to the site), but it will not accept that
> one.  Or perhaps it does accept it, but I am told I do not have the
"rights
> to do this."

What makes you think it is your control panel/ftp login it wants? If they do
indeed have WebDAV enabled, they have some sort of authentication in place
or write access (see docs above). You may be able to configure this yourself
with an access file.

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] Sharing files via the web

Posted by ru...@optonline.net.
Hello w,

wec> I am a customer of a hosting service that uses Apache servers.  Their tech
wec> support cannot answer this question:

wec> I want to upload a file (such as an Excel spreadsheet or a word processing
wec> document),  to my website and have others be able to use the application
wec> (Excel, WordPerfect, etc.)  to open the file, make changes to it and save
wec> the file, overwriting the one on the server.

wec> I have not been able to get any application to be able to write the file
wec> back to the server.  Files always opens in read-only mode.  If I attempt to
wec> write the file back to the server, I am asked for a user name/password.  It
wec> appears that it is asking for the site username/password (the one I use to
wec> access my control panel or FTP to the site), but it will not accept that
wec> one.  Or perhaps it does accept it, but I am told I do not have the "rights
wec> to do this."

wec> The hosting service's tech support says this is beyond the scope of the
wec> support they provide.  I have tries playing around with .htaccess without
wec> success.

wec> How can I accomplish this?  I can have FrontPage extensions installed or
wec> not if that makes a difference.

wec> Many thanks for any help.

wec> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
wec> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
wec> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org

Through FTP, chmod <directory> 777

This will make the file word writable, readable, and executable.

Hopefully this helps.

--
Best regards,
 rulerpen                            mailto:rulerpen@optonline.net