Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by mlabs <ml...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/22 11:02:45 UTC

I think it's time for a new book.... Igor and Co ?

The title would be ... 'Wicket Internals' ...
Dive DEEPER into the parts other programmers never reach....
The inner workings of response cycles... what really happens ...
Oh and esp the Ajax stuff... jQuery integration ... etc...

TIA

Re: I think it's time for a new book.... Igor and Co ?

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
lol. my thoughts exactly :)

-igor

Posted by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Moises <be...@gmx.de>.
+1 :)

Cheers,
Stefan

Posted by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>.
As a motivation .... everyone or probably top donnors could have their
names somewhere on the book.... ;)

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
+1 too

Posted by Josh Kamau <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Mosmann <mi...@mosmann.de>.

Posted by Bertrand Guay-Paquet <be...@step.polymtl.ca>.
> writing the book was a very long and a very exhausting effort, much
> much more then i thought it would be. when i was done the book was
> actually twice as long as what was published, but the publisher wanted
> me to trim it down to keep the cost low... they would have to charge
> more if the book had more pages :/ the combination of those two things
> has burned me out somewhat. at least enough to make me want to go play
> with other things for a while. -igor
Well thanks for your book (and all your other work as well)! I hope you
have fun with these other things and perhaps someday your interest for
Wicket will be rekindled! :)

Cheers,
Bertrand

Re: I think it's time for a new book.... Igor and Co ?

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Guay-Paquet <be...@step.polymtl.ca>.
> Seeing how the previous book authors became less active after writing
> a book I think this is not a very good idea... :-/
Is this because the books didn't sell well enough? I don't know the

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM, mlabs <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm all for improving the javadocs... oh yes... but in my experience with
> javadocs, the context is too limited.. to the class or interface in
> question.. there is rarely the more important 'bigger picture' information
> that you need as a developer diving into something new...
> Wicket is a fantastic framework .. it encapsulates so much ... but in doing
> that, it hides so much...
> I have been using tit for a couple of years now...
> The initial learning path is easy .. (by design)
> But we eventually need to step outside of the box... and that's where the
> encapsulation bites most of us...
> Ajax... jQuery... Response cycles, page caching.....
> We need to know how it all works and yes we have the source code... but...
> Back to my initial request...
>
> Wicket Internals... !!!!
>
> :)

Seeing how the previous book authors became less active after writing
a book I think this is not a very good idea... :-/

Here is what I suggest: create a page in Wiki that lists the more
interesting topics. Then we (the people who know more about Wicket
internals) will try to fill the gaps by creating a separate Wiki page
for each topic, slowly, one at a time, without the pressure of the
publishers, etc. This way hopefully the community can help too by
keeping them up-to-date.

P.S. I still wait for your javadoc Pull Requests.

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development
http://jWeekend.com

RE: I think it's time for a new book.... Igor and Co ?