Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Tech Id <te...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/19 03:45:17 UTC

external/storm-elasticsearch - upgrade requested

Hi,

I see that the version of elastic-search used
in external/storm-elasticsearch/pom.xml is quite old (1.6.0) while the
latest elastic-search is 2.2.0

2.x version is not compatible with 1.x version of elastic-search and so I
request you to upgrade.

Also, current storm-elasticsearch uses TransportClient of elastic-search
but does not expose many of the useful options in the TransportClient (like
routing).

Request you to expose them to the users too.

Thanks
Tid

Re: external/storm-elasticsearch - upgrade requested

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
FYI there is an ES module in StormCrawler [
https://github.com/DigitalPebble/storm-crawler/tree/master/external/elasticsearch],
its components are quite specific to storm-crawler apart from the
MetricsComsumer
<https://github.com/DigitalPebble/storm-crawler/tree/master/external/elasticsearch/src/main/java/com/digitalpebble/storm/crawler/elasticsearch/metrics>
which
can be used with any Storm topology e.g. to build graphs with Kibana. To my
knowledge this is not available in ES-Hadoop nor storm-elasticsearch. There
is a few dependencies to objects from storm-crawler but these should be
easy to circumvent if you wanted to piggyback the code.

--

*Open Source Solutions for Text Engineering*

http://www.digitalpebble.com
http://digitalpebble.blogspot.com/
#digitalpebble <http://twitter.com/digitalpebble>

Re: external/storm-elasticsearch - upgrade requested

Posted by Lakshmanan Muthuraman <la...@tokbox.com>.

From: Tech Id <te...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 10:24 AM
To: "user@storm.apache.org<ma...@storm.apache.org>" <us...@storm.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: external/storm-elasticsearch - upgrade requested

Posted by Tech Id <te...@gmail.com>.
Hey Aaron,

Posted by "Aaron.Dossett" <Aa...@target.com>.

From: Tech Id <te...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 10:24 AM
To: "user@storm.apache.org<ma...@storm.apache.org>" <us...@storm.apache.org>>

Posted by Tech Id <te...@gmail.com>.
I think elasticsearch-hadoop has a good number of options to tune and those
are documented well too.
(See
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/hadoop/current/configuration.html
)

One thing I see in favor of the elasticsearch-hadoop is that it provides
batching without Trident.
This could be a very good thing for someone not using Trident.

ES-Hadoop also does a node discovery of all the ES-nodes and then writes
data to only primary shards (which avoids a jump from replica-shards to
primary-shards).

ES-Hadoop supported routing until 2.x version of ES and there is a bug to
make it work in 2.x version as well.

ES-Hadoop also provides a good support of time-based index-rolling which is
great for logging-type use-cases.

Some more features include authentication, SSL, proxy etc.

I haven't looked much closely into storm-elasticsearch to see if it
provides the same functionality.

We should compare the above features and run some performance tests to
compare the two.

Disclaimer: I am just a simple user of ES-Hadoop and not associated with it
in any way. Would love to switch to some other bolt if its better or more
performant.

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
Lakshmanan,

Posted by Lakshmanan Muthuraman <la...@tokbox.com>.