Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net> on 2016/08/25 18:29:25 UTC

[FlexJS] Integrate FontAwesome with FlexJS

Hi,
I wonder if it make sense to integrate the Font Awesome icon lib with
FlexJS.
I'm using the lib a lot with the standard SDK and it would be nice to be
able to use it with FlexJS.
(A modern flat icon set could bring us a step further to a material design
inspired component set).

Are there any concerns and if not how could this be achieved?
I've absolutely no idea...

Thanks,
Olaf

Re: AW: [FlexJS] Integrate FontAwesome with FlexJS

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/3/17, 12:12 PM, "carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
<carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com> wrote:

>I think that would be a great addition Om. Thanks for working on that! :)

Yep.  Looking forward to it.  These efforts help us make sure we haven't
hard-wired anything.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Integrate FontAwesome with FlexJS

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
We already provide the Flat.swc as an optional.  Should be straightforward
to do the same for FontAwesome5, if we think that will help us grow.  But
if an ALv2-compatible version has enough market share, that should be our
preference.

Long-term, we want an ecosystem of for-profit providers of FlexJS SWCs.
If we get some traction, hopefully the CreateJS, Jquery, Flat, and Cordova
folks will take over the starter SWCs we are currently providing as a POC.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi,

I didn’t check the licensing … but eventually it could still be cool to keep an eye on them and eventually help make the open-source version support FlexJS.
This way people that want to use FontAwesome 5 (free or pro) with FlexJS could start right away.

Chris

    From the looks of it, FontAwesome 5 looks like a completely new project

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
From the looks of it, FontAwesome 5 looks like a completely new project

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

    --

    Carlos Rovira
    Director General

    proceda a su destrucción.

    necesaria.

Re: AW: [FlexJS] Integrate FontAwesome with FlexJS

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: AW: [FlexJS] Integrate FontAwesome with FlexJS

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net>.
Got it, thanks for explanation Alex!

But one question is left:
What is the difference between just loading a font and embedding a font?
I thought "embedded" means that the font is delivered with our Flex
application so that it don't rely to
the client machine [1].
But if we able to just load the font and use it with FlexJS for me it seems
that's pretty ok.
So what would "embedding" mean in this context and what advantages would
font "embedding" have?

Thanks,
Olaf

[1]
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS2db454920e96a9e51e63e3d11c0bf69084-7f5f.html

Re: AW: [FlexJS] Integrate FontAwesome with FlexJS

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 8/25/16, 11:27 PM, "OK" <po...@olafkrueger.net> wrote:

>>so FlexJS can load a font via @fontface
>
>Until now I've just used fonts without thinking about where it comes from
>;-)
>So while trying to understand how it works I found this from an previous
>post [1]:
>
>"What we do support in FlexJS is CSS
>@font-face for external font files. In the SWF version that will let you
>rotate text and get better rendering, but the font has to be loaded so it
>doesn't show up right away.  And you have to use the regular Flex SDK to
>generate the font SWF to be loaded."
>
>What does "you have to use the regular Flex SDK to generate the font SWF"
>mean?
>
>Coud we load the font doing it this way?:
>
>@font-face {
>  font-family: 'FontAwesome';
>  src: url('path/to/the/local/font.otf');
>  font-weight: normal;
>  font-style: normal;
>}

The CSS above will work in the browser.  The main FlexJS libraries also
produce a runnable SWF as well since the SWF can be used to catch runtime
errors the compilers and browsers won't catch right away.  And if you can
deploy the SWF into production, you can probably save on testing in the
various browsers.  However, Flash cannot load a otf file and use it.  It
needs to be converted into SWF tags.  The MXMLC compiler knows how to do
that.  Falcon doesn't.  So for now, you use MXMLC to generate a SWF
containing the converted otf file, place it next to the font.otf file, and
FlexJS will load the font.swf file and use it.

HTH,
-Alex

Re: AW: [FlexJS] Integrate FontAwesome with FlexJS

Posted by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net>.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/flex-users/201512.mbox/%3CD285A8DD.5D790%25aharui@adobe.com%3E

AW: [FlexJS] Integrate FontAwesome with FlexJS

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Olaf,

Unfortunately FlexJS currently doesn't do well with Fonts ... yet ... that's one of the things we have on our list. Currently we are using parts of the Fontkit libs as well as the SWFUtils from the old Flex SDK.

Chris