Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Amin Mohammed-Coleman <am...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/20 15:42:14 UTC

Performing Asynchronous Search

Hi All

This may not be a question for this mailing list but i wasn't sure where to
start.  Please accept my apologies if anyone thinks that this is not the
appropriate place for this question.

I am currently working on building a proof of concept search solution for my
company using Lucene and Hibernate Search.  I have built individual
components which work fine.  I am now looking at creating a single api that
would allow a user to get search results back from different sources (domain
+ data).  What I would like to achieve is something like a search manager
fires search requests to different search components asynchronously and when
one set of results have been processed return that result to the user while
processing the rest.  Once the result of the search has been processed
notify teh client that there are more search results available.

I am wondering whether I have a search manager which creates seperate
threads to search individual search components and keeps a list of search
results.  Once the list is populated with one set return that back to the
user.  Any additional search results added would involve the search manager
pushing the results to the user.

I am not looking for any code example (any would be appreciated) but I was
wondering if I could get some guidance on how to tackle this problem.  Do I
use event processing technologies (GigaSpaces, Spring, JMS) or use standard
Java concurrent libraries.    What would be the effective way of managing
the list and push the updated results.

Cheers
Amin