Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Federico Tonioni <li...@inwind.it> on 2003/01/15 10:11:46 UTC

DTD or Schema

Hi to all!
I would like to know which data model Xindice associates  or uses to handle data.
I am curious to know if using a dtd rather than a schema (or viceversa) the performances of  data indexing and retrieval would improve.

Thank you in advance

Federico

Re: DTD or Schema

Posted by Lachlan Donald <la...@ljd.cc>.

> > Some people need DTDs and XML Schema support.   Others of us do not.
So,
> > currently,
> > if you need it, then you have to layer it on top.
>
> Sorry, but i need to know if using a successful validation against a given
> schema how the performance would improve...
>
> and, more practically, how can i associate a .xsd to a given collection of
> documents?

Xindice at present cannot work with either XML Schema or DTDs. If you want
to use either of them you will have to work with them outside of Xindice.

Castor is useful for this sort of thing:
http://www.castor.org/xmlschema.html

Cheers,
Lachlan Donald

Re: DTD or Schema

Posted by Federico Tonioni <li...@inwind.it>.
> Some people need DTDs and XML Schema support.   Others of us do not.   So,
> currently,
> if you need it, then you have to layer it on top.

Sorry, but i need to know if using a successful validation against a given
schema how the performance would improve...

and, more practically, how can i associate a .xsd to a given collection of
documents?

please forgive me if my questions sounds stupid:-)

Fede

Re: DTD or Schema

Posted by Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk>.
Mark J. Stang wrote:

> Some people need DTDs and XML Schema support.   Others of us do not.   So,
> currently,
> if you need it, then you have to layer it on top.   I don't want it because I need
> the flexibility and
> I don't want the overhead.
>
> My 0.02 :-).
>
> Mark

I agree. It's extremely easy to provide an XML validator (WF or
valid) as a service, using Xerces, which is already in the source
tree. Where, when and how the validation occurs varies enormously
during a document life cycle, and it's IMO foolish to pretend that
validation is some sort of monolithic process that is applied only
at one specific stage.

Murray

Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK

     "In Las Vegas Mr Gates also demonstrated a prototype
      fridge magnet which can be programmed to receive traffic
      reports, sports results and advertisements from local
      restaurants using the same FM signal as the wristwatch."
                                  -- The Guardian, 10 Jan 2003.

Re: DTD or Schema

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.

--
Mark J Stang
System Architect

RE: DTD or Schema

Posted by Christian Gross <ma...@devspace.com>.

Re: DTD or Schema

Posted by Federico Tonioni <li...@inwind.it>.
i would like to know if i give some schema.xsd (if it is possible!!!) to
Xindice, it will search the data or validate a whole document in a more
efficent way.

is that a functionality that it could be implented soon in xindice? or are
they any ideas to make developement in this direction?

sorry for too much questioning:-)

thank you.
Federico

RE: DTD or Schema