Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Martin Strand <ma...@entcap.se> on 2005/12/18 21:18:55 UTC

ASOs vs services

Hi. :)
I want a Settings class to be visible to most parts of my app and I find
one thing somewhat confusing... Could someone please explain what the
difference is between a HiveMind service and an ASO with
scope="application"?

Thanks,
Martin

Re: ASOs vs services

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
The difference is that you can change the ASO on the fly ... just
create a new instance and store it into a property that is injecting
the ASO itself.

On 12/18/05, Martin Strand <ma...@entcap.se> wrote:
> I'm still not sure I get it... Can't I just use a Hivemind service as if
> it were an ASO? As I understand it, the service object is only created
> once, so any changes I make to it will be visible to any part of my app
> that uses that same service, right?
> Or perhaps ASOs are distributed in a cluster whereas a service is not? If
> so, then having my app's settings in an ASO would really only be necessary
> if I would have like an admin interface to change some parameters while
> the app was up and running.
>
> --Martin
>
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 01:48:55 +0100, Ron Piterman <rp...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > If your object is there to maintain the state of the application, then
> > its an ASO, if its there to give a service (do something with method
> > arguments, or without them) then its a service...
> >
> > Technically AFAIK you can differ them also in that an ASO is a
> > standalone, whereas a service may depend on other services.
> >
> > Martin Strand wrote:
> >> Hi. :)
> >> I want a Settings class to be visible to most parts of my app and I
> >> find  one thing somewhat confusing... Could someone please explain what
> >> the  difference is between a HiveMind service and an ASO with
> >> scope="application"?
> >>  Thanks,
> >> Martin

Howard M. Lewis Ship