Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2002/11/08 20:03:18 UTC

Re: broken links at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mpm.html

not acked..

Re: broken links at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mpm.html

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> My feeling is that <module> means current, internal apache module.  That
> excludes obsolete modules, third party modules, etc.  I think sticking
> with this meaning will make things clearer for the users.

hmm, probably. ok. In this case we should define, what to do with
non-<module> modules ;-). simply take <code>? or do nothing? I'm unsure
about this.

nd
--
$_=q?tvc!uif)%*|#Bopuifs!A`#~tvc!Xibu)%*|qsjou#Kvtu!A`#~tvc!KBQI!)*|~
tvc!ifmm)%*|#Qfsm!A`#~tvc!jt)%*|(Ibdlfs(~  # What the hell is JAPH? ;

Re: broken links at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mpm.html

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, André Malo wrote:

> * Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, André Malo wrote:
>
> >> Yes! should we introduce a new attribute "createanchor" (="no" in that
> >> case; "yes" would be default) or something?
> >
> > I would lean towards no.  A <module> should always have a corresponding
> > documentation file.  The <module> tag is sort of our contract with the
> > user that there is more stuff behind it.
>
> hmm. I mainly thought about sentences like "blah, this is a replacement for
> the old <?>mod_mmap_static</?> module". I'm not sure, what to do there.
> Semantically these are (or were...) modules. Perhaps we should create an
> attribute 'extern="URL"' for such cases or so?

My feeling is that <module> means current, internal apache module.  That
excludes obsolete modules, third party modules, etc.  I think sticking
with this meaning will make things clearer for the users.

Of course, we can define <module> however we want, as long as we are
consistent.

Joshua.

Re: broken links at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mpm.html

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, André Malo wrote:

>> Yes! should we introduce a new attribute "createanchor" (="no" in that
>> case; "yes" would be default) or something?
>
> I would lean towards no.  A <module> should always have a corresponding
> documentation file.  The <module> tag is sort of our contract with the
> user that there is more stuff behind it.

hmm. I mainly thought about sentences like "blah, this is a replacement for
the old <?>mod_mmap_static</?> module". I'm not sure, what to do there.
Semantically these are (or were...) modules. Perhaps we should create an
attribute 'extern="URL"' for such cases or so?

nd
--
Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else
use it, and get a new one every six months.  -- Clifford Stoll

                                    (found in ssl_engine_pphrase.c)

Re: broken links at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mpm.html

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, André Malo wrote:

> * Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > Please don't just remove the <module> tags around those.
>
> Yes! should we introduce a new attribute "createanchor" (="no" in that
> case; "yes" would be default) or something?

I would lean towards no.  A <module> should always have a corresponding
documentation file.  The <module> tag is sort of our contract with the
user that there is more stuff behind it.

> Just another point, a little bit related to this: There are some modules
> which don't appear separately (esp. mod_dav_fs, mod_proxy_http,
> mod_proxy_connect and mod_proxy_ftp [and afaics some of the new auth
> modules]). As you may see in CVS, I'm currently running through all the
> docs, mostly correcting formal things... :)
>
> What is the desired way? The current behaviour is hiding the separate
> (sub-)modules. I'd like to create explicit docs files and I'm willing to
> write at least a base, we can work on.

+1.  They can be as simple as "This is a supporting module for
<module>mod_proxy</module>" to start.

Joshua.

Re: broken links at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mpm.html

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Please don't just remove the <module> tags around those.

Yes! should we introduce a new attribute "createanchor" (="no" in that
case; "yes" would be default) or something?

> The fact that
> those links are broken is pointing out the more important fact that those
> mpms have no documentation.  I'm perfectly happy seeing those links remain
> broken until the correct docs appear.

Just another point, a little bit related to this: There are some modules
which don't appear separately (esp. mod_dav_fs, mod_proxy_http,
mod_proxy_connect and mod_proxy_ftp [and afaics some of the new auth
modules]). As you may see in CVS, I'm currently running through all the
docs, mostly correcting formal things... :)

What is the desired way? The current behaviour is hiding the separate
(sub-)modules. I'd like to create explicit docs files and I'm willing to
write at least a base, we can work on.

There are also the two cache provider modules. They are not listed in the
index, too. What's the strategy here?

nd
--
s;.*;aaaaaoaaaoaaaaooooaaoaaaomaaaa:a:alataa:aaoat:a:a:a
maoaa:a:laoata:a:oia:a:o:a:m:a:o:alaoooat:aaool:aaoaa

Re: broken links at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mpm.html

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Please don't just remove the <module> tags around those.  The fact that