Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "S. Brüseke - proIO GmbH" <s....@proio.com> on 2017/08/14 12:48:12 UTC

KVM evaluation

Hi,

we want to give KVM a change in our CS installation. Can somebody provide his/her experience?
- Which version of KVM are you using?
- What host OS are you running KVM on?
- What do you tweak on your KVM installations?

Thank you very much for sharing this information!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards,

Swen

- proIO GmbH -
Geschäftsführer: Swen Brüseke
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt am Main

USt-IdNr. DE 267 075 918
Registergericht: Frankfurt am Main - HRB 86239

Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben,
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail sind nicht gestattet.

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify
the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Re: KVM evaluation

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

we have Advanced zone, purely KVM, for last 3-5 years... no major KVM
related problems really.

- You preferably want qemu 2.5+/libvirt 1.3+  - i.e. Ubuntu 16.04 natively
(ACS4.9+), or Ubuntu 14.04 with OpenStack repo that provides these
binaries)  - simply because of auto-convergence, otherwise unable to nicely
live-migrate VMs that are "busy" (high enough RAM write/change rate, so VM
migration never finishes automatically - we are currently on Ubuntu 14.04
with Openstack virtualization repo, but plan to go native 16.04 soon...
- no special tweeks I believe, works just nice.
- We have tons of Windows VMs, so some experience running Windows VMs -
specifically, avoid running Windows 2008/Windows7 (or implement patch that
provides "Hyper-V Enlightenment for KVM" - we have it internally, just
never committed back unfortunately...)
- with Windows VMs, make sure you have proper virtio-enabled VM templates
and always use "Windows PV" as type of VM, etc.
- make sure you use Sandy Bridge as CPU model inside your agent.conf,
otherwise Windows 2016 will not boot at all.... etc.

Ping me if more info needed.

Cheers

--

Andrija Panić