Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Bilgin Ibryam <bi...@iguanait.com> on 2008/06/12 17:24:42 UTC

Show different types of WorkEfforts in the WorkEffort calendar

Hi all,

I'd like to see in the WorkEffort Calendar different types of
WorkEfforts - Tasks, Events, Available... Right now the calendar shows
only WorkEfforts with type Event. Is there any reason for this
restriction that I'm not aware of?

In the calendar screen there is possibility to filter by party, facility
and fixedAsset, and I think to add a field for filtering by
WorkEffortTypeId, so it will be possible to see different types of
WorkEfforts. Is it ok, WDYT?

Regards,
Bilgin Ibryam

Re: Show different types of WorkEfforts in the WorkEffort calendar

Posted by Bilgin Ibryam <bi...@iguanait.com>.
David,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
I had no idea that there were so many differences between WorkEffort
types. I will keep in mind that.

Bilgin

Re: Show different types of WorkEfforts in the WorkEffort calendar

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Yes, this would be a great enhancement.

A couple of notes:

1. The intention of the Available type work effort is to model things
like when someone is working during the week or when a machine is
schedule to be running (available). These should be shown as a
"background" in the calendar, or in other words tasks and events
should be overlaid on top of them. The idea is that actual
availability is the available type work efforts, minus any tasks or
events that "override" this availability.

2. For tasks they do have estimated and actual start and end times,
but those mean something really different from what they mean for an
event. For tasks the more important factor is priority and who they
are assigned to, and the system can estimate when they will start
based on that by sorting tasks assigned to a person by priority. If
that estimated start date is persisted it will go in the estimated
start field. In other words, with automation like this the estimated
start date for a task could change frequently. This means that a
different way of visualizing these might be more helpful. Coming back
to the calendar idea though... I think it's a fine idea still and a
good enhancement as long as you can turn them off and on since some
won't want to see them in a calendar (ie because the estimates are too
fluid).

-David