Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2003/05/12 17:17:00 UTC

[math] mavenization?

should math be a mavenized?

in other words, should math use maven as it's primary build tool and to
generate the website (rather than the ant build). your opinions, please.

- robert

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Here's a reference to the plugin.
http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/ant/index.html

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Not all projects have maven.xml's or want to have them, but thanks for the
link. I've talked on the maven list about doing this for Commons before,
but I never seem to find the time :)

Hen

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Hi,

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
I did my site in such a way that it has "Subprojects".

http://repast-jellytag.sourceforge.net/index.html.

It is a little tricky. But I used the DB site (http://db.apache.org/) as
an example and extended its capabilities. Basically I have some custom
Maven goals which "graze" the POM's structure and build a template for
the navigation, then each subproject uses this template to generate its
navigation bar, this way the navigation bar looks consistent across all
the projects and sections of its content can be controlled by the the
main site generation project.

-Mark

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
O'brien, Tim wrote:
> On math's possibly impending "mavenization" - if people were to decide
> that a Maven site was desired it would probably look something like
> this: http://cvs.apache.org/~tobrien/math
>
> The most important thing for math is going to be the project reports
> relating to coverage and unit tests.

Works for me.

Phil

Re: [math] mavenization?

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net>.
On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 01:37, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
<snip...>

> Yep, we need to resurrect the commons-as-a-maven-site idea again.

http://cvs.apache.org/~tobrien/commons

http://cvs.apache.org/~tobrien/commons/changelog-report.html

http://cvs.apache.org/~tobrien/commons/components.html

I read your email and decided to throw caution to the wind and just try
"maven site:generate" from jakarta-commons.  It seems to work, it takes
a long while to run, but IMHO it looks good.  I'd imagine that someone
spent some time getting this to work properly a while back - if that
isn't the case, then I'm impressed.

Now, there are some glitches here and there, but it would be relatively
easy to get everything to work 100%.  Some project sites are checked
into CVS and updated from daedalus and other sites are generated using
Maven and copied over to daedalus directly.

We might want to unify our approach in that respect.  Possibly generate
all commons projects and copy them over to daedalus on a periodic /
automatic basis.

Tim

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
>>organized, it can be hard to work out that a component is part of the
>>commons and it's even harder to find the common information pertaining to
>>all projects. non-mavenized components use the jakarta-commons layout and
>>are much better linked into the whole.
>>
>>i wonder whether it might be possible to provide a common (and centrally
>>maintained) section for the maven generated sidebar which contained links
>>back into information held on the main commons site.
>

> It would be cool, being able to inherit a section into the top of the
> navigation.xml.
>
> I think we need to drop the list of sibling components from the left hand
> bar in Commons projects. It is getting too large anyway and would mean
> redeploying the Commons site with each maven site generation, so a bit
> heavy on a machine/bandwidth.
>
> Hen

Here's an example of using Maven to generate a "home" section and a list
of projects on the sidebar. Feel free to canabalize the script.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/repast-jellytag/repast-jelly-taglibrary/maven.xml?rev=1.11&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

I used this instead of the avalon templating strategy on dbsite. It uses
Jelly to generate a navigation.xml for central site, it then uses that
navigation.xml in all the subproject sites as well.

-Mark

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 15 May 2003, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 07:37 AM, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
>
> i think that there are a two separate issues here.

Yep.

> the first is the skinning. some pages use the 'white' or jakarta look.
> others use the 'blue' or mavenized look. the issue here probably isn't
> maven....<snip>

Yep. The majority are now mavenised now, so I think it might not be as
politically hard as it seems to move to maven l&f.

> the second is the way that the site is linked together. maven generated
> components don't contain any links back into the commons site or to the
> information held there. unless you know how jakarta and the commons is

Some do, but not in any kind of uniform way.

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 07:37 AM, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote on 15/05/2003 04:14:58 PM:

<snip>

>> The Commons maven sites are radically different in information
>> architecture to the pre-existing Commons sites, which as more maven
> sites
>> are added is creating a less cohesive and more federated/independent
>> structure [not that I'm saying that is bad].
> Yep, we need to resurrect the commons-as-a-maven-site idea again.

i think that there are a two separate issues here.

the first is the skinning. some pages use the 'white' or jakarta look.
others use the 'blue' or mavenized look. the issue here probably isn't
really mavenization so much as getting everyone to agree on a common skin.
  commons tends to devolve decision making to the components as far as
possible. i'd guess that we'd have a hard time reaching consensus on which
is better and it'd be hard to convince components who were particularly
attached to a particular skin to change.

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote on 15/05/2003 04:14:58 PM:

> I was trying to specify the l&f that maven uses. Isn't it a Forrest
skin?
Nope....

Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Re: [math] mavenization?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Juozas Baliuka wrote:
> I prefer to have both ways,
> "plain" ant is a very good tool for the most of users to build jar, run
> test.
> Maven is a better way for developers as integrated set of the most usefull
> tools.

I agree.  I would prefer to be able to use "plain" ant for the
build-test cycle, but admitedly that is partly based on my limited
experience with maven.

Re: [math] mavenization?