Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Me...@lamresearch.com on 2017/05/24 19:58:30 UTC

Phoenix driver query rejection - note change in config?

I have recently set up a JDBC driver to connect to hdfs using Apache Phoenix. Basic queries on Squirrel have worked well (for example, "select * from datafile"), but as soon as I ask a slightly more complicated query (ie, "select column1 from datafile where column2 = 'filter1'", I encounter this error:
org.apache.phoenix.exception.PhoenixIOException: Task
org.apache.phoenix.job.JobManager$InstrumentedJobFutureTask rejected from
org.apache.phoenix.job.JobManager[Running, pool size = 128, active threads =
128, queued tasks = 5000, completed tasks = 5132]
From some searching, it seems that I should increase the ThreadPoolSize in the Apache Phoenix hbase.xml configuration file in order to avoid this error, which I have done, increasing it from 128 to 512. However, it does not seem to have noticed this change. The error persists and the "pool size" is still given as 128 within the error.
On the Phoenix Driver settings in Squirrel, I have indicated the location of hbase and hdfs directories containing the .xml config files under "Extra Class Path" in setup.
Is there any way to make the driver "notice" that the ThreadPoolSize has changed?
Thank you!

-----
Megan McClarty
Process Engineer 2 | Lam Research
E-mail<ma...@lamresearch.com> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/meganmcclarty>

Re: Phoenix driver query rejection - note change in config?

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Megan,

Not quite sure I understand your question. The queues are local to your
client, not shared by anyone else. In other words, you're only competing
against yourself (there's nothing to gain from changing priorities).

I'm surprised that you're seeing issues running such a simple query
(select with single predicate). Can you share the updated error message
you see, and your table's DDL statement? Perhaps the output of an
EXPLAIN on your query, too?

Posted by Me...@lamresearch.com.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Hi Megan,