Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> on 2006/06/02 03:56:11 UTC

Re: [ATTN: Release Managers] 3 binding +1's for a Release from PMC folks

Guys what's in commons-util? That seems like a redundant naming
strategy .. commons is by definition utility stuff so what's a utility
within commons??

Sanjiva.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/2/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There was a Jakarta Commons Utils many eons ago, but we threw the name
> out and split it up into Lang, IO, Codec and others. They grew. :)

I have no problem with splitting them when I find *that* there is
something growing. Within the last year, I didn't have that
impression.

Jochen

--
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the
majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Re: [ATTN: Release Managers] 3 binding +1's for a Release from PMC folks

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 6/1/06, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/2/06, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
>
> > Guys what's in commons-util? That seems like a redundant naming
> > strategy .. commons is by definition utility stuff so what's a utility
> > within commons??
>
> It's defined as a set of utilities for XML handling, each of which
> which are too small for a separate project. Included are xs:dateTime
> parses and formatters, serializers, classes for namespace handling,
> and stuff like that. Give me a better name, although I wouldn't be too
> happy to change it after the project is around for 1 year. (And has
> always been since the foundation of the ws-commons.)

There was a Jakarta Commons Utils many eons ago, but we threw the name
out and split it up into Lang, IO, Codec and others. They grew. :)

Hen

Re: [ATTN: Release Managers] 3 binding +1's for a Release from PMC folks

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.