Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de> on 2002/04/24 07:44:04 UTC

[Q maybe OT] forward

Hi all,

maybe this is going to be a little off topic, but it won't take you much
time:

I am quite certain that recently I saw a server response code concerning
forwarding. It may have looked like HTTP_DOCUMENT_FORWARDED or anything
alike. Silly enough I can't recall where I saw it (or whether I even
just dreamt it), so my questions are:

1. Has anyone ever seen that ghost before?
2. If I'm right, what is the correct memnonic, what's its code - and:
where an I find it? perl5.6.1-Apache::Constants::Exports.pm doesn't
mention it.

Hope it wasn't all just a dream...

thx

                   http://www.meome.de
Martin Haase-Thomas         |    Tel.: +49 30 43730-558
meOme AG                    |    Fax.: +49 30 43730-555
Software Development        |           mht@meome-ag.de

Re: [Q maybe OT] forward

Posted by Ernest Lergon <er...@virtualitas.net>.
Martin Haase-Thomas wrote:

> I am quite certain that recently I saw a server response code concerning
> forwarding. It may have looked like HTTP_DOCUMENT_FORWARDED or anything
> alike.

Hi Martin,

just a guess: Do you mean the header entry 'X-Forwarded-For' ?

See

http://take23.org/docs/guide/scenario.xml/8

Ernest

* VIRTUALITAS Inc.               *                                  *
*                                *                                  *
* European Consultant Office     *      http://www.virtualitas.net  *
* Internationales Handelszentrum *   contact:Ernest Lergon          *
* Friedrichstraße 95             *    mailto:Ernest@virtualitas.net *
* 10117 Berlin / Germany         *       ums:+49180528132130266     *
       PGP-Key http://www.virtualitas.net/Ernest_Lergon.asc

Re: [Q maybe OT] forward

Posted by darren chamberlain <dl...@users.sourceforge.net>.
* Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de> [2002-04-24 08:19]:
> forwarding is a term that i borrowed from the JSP concept - which i'm
> currently trying to implement in perl. it means nearly the same as
> redirect, but without telling the client. (as far as i've understood
> it do far. maybe it's just luxury and i'm going to leave it out.)

That sounds exactly like internal_redirect.

(darren)

--
Help!  I'm a rock!

Re: [Q maybe OT] forward

Posted by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de>.
Hi Perrin,

first of all please excuse my late answer - lots of things in mind to
care about, as I'm hopefully close to releasing the 0.2 version of the
serverpage implementation (and besides I urgently need a new job, too).

But thank you for your presice statement, that is exactly what I needed,
and you helped me a lot. I think that it'll be a consice offer to the
programmer if I declare 'redirect', 'moved', and 'forward' to be events
on which enclosing handlers have to react approximately. Which means
that a 'redirect' should lead to a 301 response, a 'moved' to a 302, and
a 'forward' to whatever. But these are in fact not of the server page's
concerns. Would you agree with this approach?

regards

--
         "Constant shallowness leads to evil."

Re: [Q maybe OT] forward

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 07:15 29.04.2002, Martin Haase-Thomas wrote:
>Hi  Andrew,
>
>thanx for the idea to have a look at Apache::ASP. I took that look
>meanwhile and to me that seems to be an overhead. Maybe I'm naive, because
>it wasn't much more than a glance, but the code copes with things a server
>page *never* has to worry about, things like session handling and so on.
>Apache::ASP looks more like a Java class packet (you know: one of these
>endless stories that java people use to wrap their code in - but I don't
>linme java, as you already may assume...) than a perl module. In my
>understanding a server page is nothing but a document that has to be
>processed by the server, and the result of this process is sent to the
>client. All the other aspects of a web application, like sessions or
>cacheing or th like ar not what the page itself has to care about. It
>either knows the respective values, because the handler passed them
>through to it - or it doesn't. But maybe I'm bragging now - wait a few
>weeks and we'll hopefully both see whether I'm right or not.

Some people do programming inside JSP pages too, right? And Sun even says
it's a good way to get started with web programming.

Anyway, what you're looking for then is a simple templating module, you
should look at Perrin Harkins'  tutorial:
http://perl.apache.org/preview/modperl-docs/dst_html/docs/2.0/world/templates/choosing.html
.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: [Q maybe OT] forward

Posted by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de>.
Hi  Andrew,

[...]

Kind regards
Martin

Re: [Q maybe OT] forward

Posted by Andrew Ho <an...@tellme.com>.
Hello,

Re: [Q maybe OT] forward

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.

Re: [Q maybe OT] forward

Posted by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de>.
;) you're right. meanwhile i found out that it seems to have something
to do with proxies.
forwarding is a term that i borrowed from the JSP concept - which i'm
currently trying to implement in perl. it means nearly the same as
redirect, but without telling the client. (as far as i've understood it
do far. maybe it's just luxury and i'm going to leave it out.)

thank you both for your clues and guesses. i think the best idea will
lie in informing the programmer that there has been some sort of an
'event' while processing the page - and leave the uncomfortable decision
what do to with this 'event' up to him...

... whistling ... :)

Re: [Q maybe OT] forward

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.