Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2016/09/15 15:42:38 UTC

CreateJS Externs (was: [DRAFT] Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 Released)

On 9/15/16, 1:39 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:

>I still have one discussion in mind with the replacing of License Headers
>in files as part of the Patch process. I guess this isn't resolved yet. I
>responded more general as the other responses seemed to refer to someone
>continuously doing something :-)

Renaming this thread.

Again, we have to consider the impact on the communities (Apache Flex,
CreateJS and the folks on legal-discuss) when trying to resolve these
issues.  Is it so important that we have to get legal-discuss involved?
These files are generated files, they aren't even sources!

As a data point, many externs files have different licenses than the
libraries they represent.  But sure, we could be following a bad pattern.

That said, I want to propose and discuss in this thread a new solution
that avoids the issue altogether and hopefully won't burn cycles on
legal-discuss:  Let's donate the externs to CreateJS.

If we can get CreateJS to stick the externs file in their repo or release,
we can download it from there and it would have their header on it and we
don't have to maintain these patch files and debate its headers.

I've been trying to think through what would be involved.  I think we
either need a volunteer that isn't me or Peter (because our employment
agreements dictate that our work is copyright Adobe and we are not
authorized to contribute anywhere other than Apache) to take the final
externs files and offer them to the CreateJS folks.  I'm not sure if we
need to vote as a PMC to donate these files to CreateJS.

Thoughts?
-Alex

AW: CreateJS Externs (was: [DRAFT] Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 Released)

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Alex,

as far as I understood it, It's not the patch file that we are talking about, its that the patch file (which should have an Apache license ... I think) changes an existing file with other license, hereby modifying it and creating a derivative work. Additionally it removes the original license header. I'm no expert, but I think the patch file should be Apache licensed, but the output needs to keep the original license as most of these licenses require any derivative to maintain the license and I think this is a derivative work.

But as I said, I'm no expert on licensing.

Chris