Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/19 16:41:50 UTC

[MINA 3.0] Debugging toolkit

Had picked this form one the discussion threads and added to the MINA
3.0 design page, so that we don't loose this.

had some initial thoughts around this, like we can some kind of
visualization tool build around MINA, which can help us see/debug
the MINA based System. One can view number of IoSession's, IoChain's,
configuration etc.
It could be build as an Eclipse plugin or a standalone UI talking to
MINA code via JMX.

I am not sure, but we can see if we can extend ProtoTiger as a
debugging/visualization tool.

These are just some initial thought, will refine the understanding as
we progress further with 3.0 design.

Any suggestion?

--
thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

Re: [MINA 3.0] Debugging toolkit

Posted by David Latorre <dv...@gmail.com>.
2010/1/25 Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>:

> On Jan 25, 2010, at 8:21 AM, Ashish wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> With JMX, and a decent tool (something like MX4J :
>>> http://mx4j.sourceforge.net/), providing some graphs should be a piece of
>>> cake.
>>
>> Emm ! You read my mind. I had something similar in my mind :-)
>> More like number of session, and if possible the chain associated with
>> the same..
>> there could be more such useful stuff on that UI
>
> It would be good if we had some kind of conventions, e.g. naming and event,
> that other protocols would follow.
>
>>> Being able to track down one single session is also something that a JMX
>>> based tool can do. Logs ? That's for post-mortem debugging :/
>
> We use logs extensively when working on production issues where sessions can
> have the lifetime of subatomic particles.  We should carefully consider the
> usefulness of logging in this toolkit.

Logging at the session level should be pretty easy with NDC/MDC,
right? The problem is of course, if their logging implementation
doesn't support these.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Alan D. Cabrera a écrit :

> On Jan 19, 2010, at 7:41 AM, Ashish wrote:
>
>> Had picked this form one the discussion threads and added to the MINA
>> 3.0 design page, so that we don't loose this.
>>
>> had some initial thoughts around this, like we can some kind of
>> visualization tool build around MINA, which can help us see/debug
>> the MINA based System. One can view number of IoSession's, IoChain's,
>> configuration etc.
>> It could be build as an Eclipse plugin or a standalone UI talking to
>> MINA code via JMX.
>>
>> I am not sure, but we can see if we can extend ProtoTiger as a
>> debugging/visualization tool.
>>
>> These are just some initial thought, will refine the understanding as
>> we progress further with 3.0 design.
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>
> I wouldn't classify these as debugging toolkit but a management
> toolkit; very critical.
>
> I was also thinking about the logging discussion that we had earlier
> and I think that I've come around to the thinking that it's important
> to provide some kind of logging mechanism who's scope is narrowed to a
> particular session.  (I'm still not sold on the usefulness of a
> general logging filter such as the one that we have now).
With JMX, and a decent tool (something like MX4J :
http://mx4j.sourceforge.net/), providing some graphs should be a piece
of cake.

Being able to track down one single session is also something that a JMX
based tool can do. Logs ? That's for post-mortem debugging :/

> Regards,
> Alan

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com

Re: [MINA 3.0] Debugging toolkit

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2010, at 7:41 AM, Ashish wrote:
>
>> Had picked this form one the discussion threads and added to the MINA
>> 3.0 design page, so that we don't loose this.
>>
>> had some initial thoughts around this, like we can some kind of
>> visualization tool build around MINA, which can help us see/debug
>> the MINA based System. One can view number of IoSession's, IoChain's,
>> configuration etc.
>> It could be build as an Eclipse plugin or a standalone UI talking to
>> MINA code via JMX.
>>
>> I am not sure, but we can see if we can extend ProtoTiger as a
>> debugging/visualization tool.
>>
>> These are just some initial thought, will refine the understanding as
>> we progress further with 3.0 design.
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>
> I wouldn't classify these as debugging toolkit but a management toolkit;
> very critical.

Good point :-) Management kit could provide more information on the
state of system, which shall help in debugging

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.