Posted to dev@crunch.apache.org by Josh Wills <jo...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/19 21:51:04 UTC

Taking Crunch to the Attic

Hello all,

I hope that I find you well and that you and your family are safe and
healthy during this extraordinarily trying time. In personal news, I left
Slack last November and had been enjoying some much-needed down time while
figuring out my next thing, but ended up getting pulled into helping out
some epidemiologists at Johns Hopkins with their data pipeline work:
https://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2020/04/scaling-covid19-model.html

It's the most meaningful work I've ever done, but it's also been
all-consuming and has meant that I haven't been able to devote much time to
Crunch-related things. When I pinged the rest of the PMC, we discussed
whether there was anything else for us to do on the project, or whether it
was time to wrap things up here and put Crunch in the Apache Attic. The
primary consequence of this is that we would no longer do Crunch bug fixes
or releases under the Apache umbrella, but the code as it is will live on
and work in its current state for at least a few more years, more than
enough time for folks to fork the project and/or move things to Apache
Spark or Flink or whatever pipeline engine comes along next.

Working on Crunch has been one of the great joys of my professional life,
but all things come to an end. If anyone on the dev list feels like we're
calling things too early and would like to get involved with the project as
part of the ASF in a more substantial way, please feel free to reply on
here, otherwise I'll put together the Attic proposal for the next board
meeting in mid-June.

Thanks!
Josh

Re: Taking Crunch to the Attic

Posted by Nathan Schile <na...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for creating Crunch and being an awesome maintainer. It has brought
great joy to my programming life. All the best in your future endeavors.

Nathan Schile