Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/04 03:48:28 UTC

MS Taking Our Name?

Legal Dept:

Can someone comment on on what action we can and should take, if any, in
response to Microsoft's recent (2 weeks ago) announcement of "Microsoft
Pivot"? [1]  It's a clear name conflict with Apache Pivot -- which has been
in the Incubator since January 2009 and is set to graduate on the next Board
Meeting.

Thanks for your help,
-T

[1]
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Introducing-Pivot-from-Microsoft-Live-Labs-127435.shtml

Re: MS Taking Our Name?

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Todd Volkert wrote:

> FWIW, the main site should be updated, 'cause I don't see trademarks
> listed on http://www.apache.org/foundation/mailinglists.html, and it
> says that legal-discuss is the right place to bring up trademark issues :)

Todd and others who trip over these things in the coming weeks or even months,
sorry that this is an internal change that hasn't been well publicized, and
the minutes of the Nov meeting where the PRC/Trademark/Fundraising issues were
addressed are not yet published.

All committers should be aware of an email sent by Chairman Jim on 11/19
at 13:21 GMT of the outcome of the Nov board meeting, but essentially
Brand Management now falls under VP Shane Curcuru, with the trademark@
list managing such issues, while Fundraising and Marketing/Publicity now
fall under the VP's Serge Knystautas and and Sally Khudairi, respectively.

Re: MS Taking Our Name?

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Craig,

Re: MS Taking Our Name?