Posted to dev@flume.apache.org by Sean Busbey <sb...@apple.com.INVALID> on 2022/03/08 15:55:48 UTC

[DISCUSS] consolidating and documenting contributor guidelinees

Hi folks!

Right now we have contributor guidelines in a couple of places:

* source tree as CONTRIBUTING.md and DEVNOTES, visible on GitHub
* confluence on a HOW TO CONTRIBUTE and Developer Section pages, linked from the website

We also have a few different ways of accepting contributions

* JIRA patches - review on JIRA or review in review board
* GitHub PRs

It looks like only the JIRA/reviewboard workflow is covered in our contribution guide, but the GitHub PR route has come to dominate.

I’d like to update our contribution guides to give new folks a clear single path to on ramp.

What do folks think about taking a GitHub centric approach?

Given our current community activity levels, IMHO minimizing friction from the audience of folks who have a GitHub account gives us the easiest path to casual contributions.

To start I’d suggest:

- remove review board use
- suggest all changes as PRs
- consolidate our project guidelines in CONTRIBUTING.md and DEVNOTES

—
busbey

Re: [DISCUSS] consolidating and documenting contributor guidelinees

Posted by Bessenyei Balázs Donát <be...@apache.org>.
+1 on the things proposed

Donat

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <sb...@apple.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

> On Mar 8, 2022, at 8:55 AM, Sean Busbey <sb...@apple.com.INVALID> wrote:
>

> Hi folks!
>
> Right now we have contributor guidelines in a couple of places:
>
> * source tree as CONTRIBUTING.md and DEVNOTES, visible on GitHub
> * confluence on a HOW TO CONTRIBUTE and Developer Section pages, linked from the website

I would suggest the CONTRIBUTING.md be updated and the confluence stuff go away.

> We also have a few different ways of accepting contributions
>
> * JIRA patches - review on JIRA or review in review board
> * GitHub PRs

I am not aware that review board is still used.

> It looks like only the JIRA/reviewboard workflow is covered in our contribution guide, but the GitHub PR route has come to dominate.

Correct. I think review board was replaced by GitHub PRs.

> I’d like to update our contribution guides to give new folks a clear single path to on ramp.

I’m OK with that.

> What do folks think about taking a GitHub centric approach?

+1

> Given our current community activity levels, IMHO minimizing friction from the audience of folks who have a GitHub account gives us the easiest path to casual contributions.

+1

> To start I’d suggest:
>
> - remove review board use

As I said, I think that is just a documentation issue.