Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Patrick Angeles <pa...@inertiabev.com> on 2009/02/18 00:41:06 UTC

Yet another Wicket quick start application...

For anyone interested, I've made public yet another quick start application
that brings together Wicket, Spring 2.5 and Hibernate.

The app features a basic CRUD framework based on wicketstuff-crud. The CRUD
framework uses bean annotations to define CRUD properties. It also uses the
excellent InMethod Grid component for the list view.

Link:

http://apptizer.googlecode.com/

Cheers,

- P

Re: Yet another Wicket quick start application...

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
I have mixed feelings about it too. I guess it' sort of the same dialog as
with all the web frameworks available for java...But another nice thing
about consolidating are that mass will increase on the separate projects..
The best of breed might not survive, it the one person get other
priorities..

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Allen <ri...@gmail.com>.
Sure.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Allen <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by francisco treacy <fr...@gmail.com>.
hi richard,

Posted by Richard Allen <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Allen <ri...@gmail.com>.
As a fairly new Wicket user, I find it moderately difficult and confusing to
find out what libraries/toolkits/frameworks/components/ide pluins/etc. are
available. There doesn't seem to be a central comprehensive list that is
regularly maintained. I feel like I have to look in several places, or do a
Google search, to find something I'm looking for.

Fortunately, the wicketframework.org URL now redirects you to
wicket.apache.org, and the wicket.apache.org site now has a page that lists
the built in components (having to refer to wicketframework.org for a list
of components used to be misleading).

The wicket.apache.org site has some useful links, like the "More Goodies..."
page, however, there are some things I believe make life moderately
difficult/confusing for newbies.

* I'm not sure I understand why wicket-extensions has to be treated as
"extensions". Maybe it's just the name "extension", but it seems like an
integral part of Wicket to me. Isn't it maintained by the core Wicket
contributors? If so, then why is it categorized along with projects that are
maintained outside of the Apacke Wicket Subversion repo, like wicket-stuff?
I *can* appreciate that it's packaged as a separate JAR so you can choose
not to include it if you don't need it (which is *not* be the case for me,
and I imagine most users). However, the Spring framework, for example, has
many projects that are packaged in separate JARs, but they aren't
categorized as "third-party".

* The "Getting Wicket" page of wicket.apache.org has information on how to
specify the core Wicket dependency in Maven2, however the wicket-extensions
documentation has no such information for that dependency. I know this isn't
hard to figure out, but providing this information would make things clearer
for newbies to Wicket and Maven2. Overall, having a page that describes what
all the artifacts on the Maven2 repo (
http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/wicket/) are for, which ones are
deprecated, etc., would be helpful.

* Due to the popularity of IoC containers, I think it would be worthwhile to
reference the Wicket/Spring and Wicket/Guice integration on the
wicket.apache.org site, thereby making it obvious to newbies that it's
supported. Also, it seems to me that in 1.4, wicket-spring-annot is not
required, only wicket-spring, which is not noted in the documentation.

* I think the home page for wicketstuff.org should make it more obvious that
a list of the projects can be found on the wicketstuff wiki. Also, I believe
many developers today, when evaluating a framework, base their decision
partially on how comprehensive is the web page widget support, simply
because they don't want to have to do more work than necessary. The
wicketstuff.org site, for a newbie, has an impression of being only
occasionally maintained, leaving you thinking the widgets there are *not*
something you want to use in your professional application, and that the
number of widgets (components) in Wicket is not that comprehensive. Wicket
would benefit by expanding the number of components that are under the
umbrella of the core Wicket project, and not so much "third-party".

* The table of "Other projects related to Wicket" on the Wicket wiki (linked
to from the "More Goodies" page of wicket.apache.org) doesn't appear to be
maintained regularly (e.g., Wicket Tools doesn't seem to exist anymore) and
doesn't include many of the projects I see mentioned on this user list, such
as the one this email thread is about, or wicketopia or wicket RAD.

These are just my 2 cents. I like the Wicket project, appreciate the work
that has been put into it, and want to see it have great success. I'm
willing to contribute in any way that I can help.

-Richard

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 6:33 AM, nino martinez wael <

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
2009/2/18 James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 6:33 AM, nino martinez wael
> <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2009/2/18 Patrick A. <pa...@gmail.com>
> >

> >> Hey Nino,
> >>
> >> Apptizer is not really a framework. It's more like AppFuse or Qwicket in
> >> spirit... with the goal of showing how Spring, Hibernate/JPA and Wicket
> >> integrate. The CRUD framework in there is not meant to be integral. In
> >> fact,
> >> the CRUD framework is designed to be disposable.
> >
> > Ahh so it might be something like my Iolite..
> >

> >> I've only heard of Wicketopia incidentally, probably on IRC. I checked
> the
> >> project page and it was the standard mvn generated site with no
> information
> >> or description of the project, so I tuned it out.
> >
> > Good point, i'll take it up with James, we might need some love on the
> PR...
>
> Well, we definitely need some PR love.  I've been kinda swamped at
> work with no time to devote to my fun projects, like Wicketopia, but
> I've got big ideas for where I think it should go.

Yeah, my time are scares now as well.. I'd like it do be a bit more simple
to develop new components for annotations.. I guess we could & should take
the discussion on the wicketopia forum? Also to show that there are some
activities there..

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Patrick A." <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hey Nino,

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Podatelev <br...@gmail.com>.
Will definitely check that out, thanks.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Patrick Angeles <pa...@inertiabev.com>wrote:

> For anyone interested, I've made public yet another quick start application
> that brings together Wicket, Spring 2.5 and Hibernate.
>
> The app features a basic CRUD framework based on wicketstuff-crud. The CRUD
> framework uses bean annotations to define CRUD properties. It also uses the
> excellent InMethod Grid component for the list view.
>
> Link:
>
> http://apptizer.googlecode.com/
>
> Cheers,
>
> - P