Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Guillaume Polet <gu...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/14 19:05:37 UTC

Uncompiled classes resulting in COMPILATION ERROR : cannot find symbol

Hi list,

ok this sounds like the simplest question but either my brain fried this
evening and I can't see the obvious or else I hit some really unexpected
behaviour. I have a multi-module project hosted on github
(https://github.com/agilebirds/openflexo) and it is built regularly on
jenkins. Somehow, jenkins got messed up and I don't know exactly when my
build broke, but it has worked for at least 2 months every night.
Anyway, the error I get is the following (classical error):
[INFO]
[INFO] Building FlexoFoundation 1.4.4-SNAPSHOT
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-clean-plugin:2.4.1:clean (default-clean) @
flexofoundation ---
[INFO] Deleting D:\tmp\openflexo\flexodesktop\model\flexofoundation\target
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.4.3:resources (default-resources) @
flexofou
ndation ---
[INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
[INFO] Copying 0 resource
[INFO] Copying 0 resource
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:2.3.2:compile (default-compile) @
flexofoundati
on ---
[INFO] Compiling 1542 source files to
D:\tmp\openflexo\flexodesktop\model\flexof
oundation\target\classes
[WARNING]
\tmp\openflexo\flexodesktop\model\flexofoundation\src\main\java\org\op
enflexo\foundation\rm\FlexoProject.java:[180,31]
com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGCo
dec is Sun proprietary API and may be removed in a future release
[WARNING]
\tmp\openflexo\flexodesktop\model\flexofoundation\src\main\java\org\op
enflexo\foundation\rm\FlexoProject.java:[181,31]
com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGIm
ageEncoder is Sun proprietary API and may be removed in a future release
[WARNING]
\tmp\openflexo\flexodesktop\model\flexofoundation\src\main\java\org\op
enflexo\foundation\gen\ScreenshotGenerator.java:[59,31]
com.sun.image.codec.jpeg
.ImageFormatException is Sun proprietary API and may be removed in a
future rele
ase
[WARNING]
\tmp\openflexo\flexodesktop\model\flexofoundation\src\main\java\org\op
enflexo\foundation\gen\ScreenshotGenerator.java:[60,31]
com.sun.image.codec.jpeg
.JPEGCodec is Sun proprietary API and may be removed in a future release
[WARNING]
\tmp\openflexo\flexodesktop\model\flexofoundation\src\main\java\org\op
enflexo\foundation\rm\FlexoProject.java:[3018,5]
com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGIm
ageEncoder is Sun proprietary API and may be removed in a future release
[WARNING]
\tmp\openflexo\flexodesktop\model\flexofoundation\src\main\java\org\op
enflexo\foundation\rm\FlexoProject.java:[3018,32]
com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGC
odec is Sun proprietary API and may be removed in a future release
[WARNING]
\tmp\openflexo\flexodesktop\model\flexofoundation\src\main\java\org\op
enflexo\foundation\gen\ScreenshotGenerator.java:[418,35]
com.sun.image.codec.jpe
g.JPEGCodec is Sun proprietary API and may be removed in a future release
[WARNING]
\tmp\openflexo\flexodesktop\model\flexofoundation\src\main\java\org\op
enflexo\foundation\gen\ScreenshotGenerator.java:[426,21]
com.sun.image.codec.jpe
g.ImageFormatException is Sun proprietary API and may be removed in a
future rel
ease
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:2.4.3:testResources
(default-testResources) @
flexofoundation ---
[INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
[INFO] Copying 41 resources
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:2.3.2:testCompile (default-testCompile)
@ flexo
foundation ---
[INFO] Compiling 27 source files to
D:\tmp\openflexo\flexodesktop\model\flexofou
ndation\target\test-classes
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR]
\tmp\openflexo\flexodesktop\model\flexofoundation\src\test\java\org\open
flexo\foundation\FlexoTestCase.java:[40,34] cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ComponentDMEntity
location: package org.openflexo.foundation.dm
and it goes on and on with the same error but for different classes.

Now the thing is that the classes Maven complains it cannot find are in
the same project, they just are not test-classes. So I thought that my
workspace was all messed up and I went to see on the HD if the
corresponding java source files were there or not: all files seems to be
present and ok, but when I go to the "target" directory and look for the
corresponding class files, I see that many of them are missing. So I was
wondering how would Maven not compile all classes located in
src/main/java? I have counted the number of Java files in
src/main/java--> 1542 java files and I have counted the number of class
files in target/classes: 629 files. How is this possible?

I use the following command to perform my goals and options:
'-DskipTests clean deploy'.
I thought that this could be environmental and so I decided to checkout
the code in a clean repository on my laptop, and I also hit the same error.

I have spent my afternoon trying to figure out what the problem was and
how this happened, but so far I came up with nothing, so any idea would
be greatly appreciated (don't hesitate, even if you think it is a dumb
idea, because I got nothing).

My pom.xml can be found here:
https://github.com/agilebirds/openflexo/blob/master/flexodesktop/model/flexofoundation/pom.xml
My root pom can be found here:
https://github.com/agilebirds/openflexo/blob/master/pom.xml and it
contains the maven compiler configuration which is the following
(compiler is 1.6 for source and targe, encoding is UTF-8 everywhere):

<pluginManagement>
<plugins>
<plugin>
<configuration>
<source>${compiler.source}</source>
<target>${compiler.target}</target>
<encoding>${source.encoding}</encoding>
</configuration>
</plugin>
<plugin>
<artifactId>maven-resources-plugin</artifactId>
<configuration>
<encoding>${resource.encoding}</encoding>
</configuration>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</pluginManagement>

I have wrongly asked my question, please tell me how I can improve it.

Cheers,
Guillaume

Re: Uncompiled classes resulting in COMPILATION ERROR : cannot find symbol

Posted by Guillaume Polet <gu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the response but unfortunately no, I still have 48G on the
server and my laptop has even more.

Cheers,
Guillaume

Posted by Guillaume Polet <gu...@gmail.com>.
OK, thanks for your answers. On my side, I made sure that those issues
arise on both my laptop and on jenkins. I have also tried your
suggestions on both, but unfortunately they did not work for me. Anyway,
thanks again for spending the time to reply.

Cheers,
Guillaume

Posted by Guillaume Polet <gu...@gmail.com>.
Well, I think I finally found the root issue of this and I was quite
astonished by what I have discovered.

Anyway, the first thing I did was fixing 8 Warnings I had about using
Sun proprietary code-->OK this was not nice from me, but it had worked
for so many years that I was wondering if there was any point to these
warnings. And ok, warnings are not good but they should not ruin
everything either.
Once I did that, the root cause finally unrevealed itself:
[ERROR] Failure executing javac,  but could not parse the error:
[ERROR] An exception has occurred in the compiler (1.6.0_26). Please
file a bug
at the Java Developer Connection
(http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport)  after
checking the Bug Parade for duplicates. Include your program and the
following d
iagnostic in your report.  Thank you.
[ERROR] java.lang.NullPointerException
[ERROR] at
com.sun.tools.javac.comp.Check.checkCompatibleConcretes(Check.java:12
15)
[ERROR] at
com.sun.tools.javac.comp.Check.checkCompatibleSupertypes(Check.java:1
567)
[ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.comp.Attr.attribClassBody(Attr.java:2674)
[ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.comp.Attr.attribClass(Attr.java:2628)
[ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.comp.Attr.attribClass(Attr.java:2564)
[ERROR] at
com.sun.tools.javac.main.JavaCompiler.attribute(JavaCompiler.java:103
6)
[ERROR] at
com.sun.tools.javac.main.JavaCompiler.compile2(JavaCompiler.java:765)

[ERROR] at
com.sun.tools.javac.main.JavaCompiler.compile(JavaCompiler.java:730)
[ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:353)
[ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:279)
[ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:270)
[ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.Main.compile(Main.java:69)
[ERROR] at com.sun.tools.javac.Main.main(Main.java:54)
[ERROR] -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]

So, just by removing some warnings, the Java compiler finally decided
itself to report to me that it was unable to compile some classes. After
looking around, I found that this issue is 6 years old, many guys have
had this NPE, and it should be fixed in JVM 7.

Hopefully, this may help some other people having this error, but I got
to say that I never had such severe issues with Sun/Oracle JVM until
now. Makes me wonder if I should keep on compiling with this JVM.

Posted by Guillaume Polet <gu...@gmail.com>.
Well this would have been my guess too, but as I mentionned earlier in
another e-mail, I can also reproduce this on my laptop where there is
absolutely no trace of jenkins.
If you have git and maven on your path, you can reproduce this issue
with this:

  * Checkout the code: git clone git://github.com/agilebirds/openflexo.git
  * Go into the checked-out code: cd openflexo
  * Build the project: mvn -DskipTests clean package (I know, skipping
    test is a bad practice, but one step at a time...)

But maybe you will not have this issue (it comes up when compiling the
test-classes of FlexoFoundation) and so this will definitely point into
the direction of an environment issue.

Cheers,
Guillaume

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Polet <gu...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much for the kind response.

I just made several attempts according to your remarks:
1) Increasing the Heap size to 1G (it used to be 512M)--> that did not work
2) I then tried to configure the maven compiler plugin to fork--> that
did not work either
3) I also increases the maxmem of the m-c-p to 1G and with fork
activated-->still no luck :'(

Could it be that you also changed something else? Anyway, I find it very
disturbing that with 2 projects in jenkins with the exact same
configuration to the exception of their name (the one that works has a
suffix '_2'), one of them works and not the other.

Moreover, if the java compiler encounters an OOME, it should definitely
fail the build instead of silently continue. I think that if you can
find an example that can pin-point this kind of issue, you should report
it as a bug. Although, I think I have already encountered OOME in the
past and I think it failed the build.

Cheers,
Guillaume

Posted by Guillaume Polet <gu...@gmail.com>.
Ok more info on this issue which is driving me nuts.

I reset everything this week-end and I still get the error:
https://test.openflexo.com/jenkins/job/openflexo/8/console
Now, weirdest thing is that I have another build which is the nightly
build of the same project and the build succeeds:
https://test.openflexo.com/jenkins/job/openflexo_nightly/81/console

Finally, I created a copy of the openflexo build in openflexo_2 and it
also worked (the only difference there is the job name). So my
conclusion was that jenkins has some kind of really screwed up cache
somewhere which screws my project openflexo.

But before going to jenkins ML, I tried one last thing on my laptop:

  * Checkout the code: git clone git://github.com/agilebirds/openflexo.git
  * Go into the checked-out code: cd openflexo
  * Build the project: mvn -DskipTests clean package (I know, skipping
    test is a bad practice, but one step at a time...)

Bang I hit the same error again, so I am back to square 1.

My laptop has the following configuration:
Apache Maven 3.0.3 (r1075438; 2011-02-28 18:31:09+0100)
Maven home: D:\Work\apache-maven-3.0.3\bin\..
Java version: 1.6.0_26, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_26\jre
Default locale: fr_BE, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"

And the server running jenkins:
Apache Maven 3.0.3 (r1075438; 2011-02-28 18:31:09+0100)
Maven home: /home/jenkins/tools/Maven3
Java version: 1.6.0_07, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java home: /opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.07/jre
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: ANSI_X3.4-1968
OS name: "linux", version: "2.6.25-gentoo-r7", arch: "i386", family: "unix"

Any suggestion is more than welcome although I have some kind of
workaround with this renamed job, but I find it ugly to maintain.

Posted by Kiren Pillay <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guillaume,