Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by George Valpak <gv...@yahoo.com> on 2003/02/13 16:30:02 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] fatal: libsendfile.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory

At 09:00 AM 2/13/2003 -0600, George Hademenos wrote:
>i have a bitter taste in my mouth for sun, they sued ms to force them to
>include java along with their own virtual machine.
>i thought (it has been awhile) the linux community and GNU would protect gcc
>from proprietary interests like sun.

OK I am sure George is a troll now. I haven't heard anyone claim that Sun has done anything with gcc that violates the GNU license. Au contraire, I know several groups in Sun that are directly involved with extending GNU licensed code as part of the community.

>i do apologize but i hate to see a proprietary interest like sun get control
>over GNU software
>...Linux was meant to be a free and educational os
>for any interested persons of low income....it was designed to run on 12$
>computers not that price gouging sun hardware.

IN the sense that Linus created the original kernel as an educational exercise, yes. But since then I don't think even Linus has made that claim. And the rest of it, GNU, for the most part already existed without the kernel before that. Nothing I have ever read from or about Richard Stallman ever indicated education or cheapness, or even "free as in beer" was a goal.

FYI, Linux runs on IBM mainframes way bigger than anything Sun can dream of building....

GV

Re: [users@httpd] fatal: libsendfile.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory

Posted by George Hademenos <ha...@sbcglobal.net>.
well george i have spoken to richard on several occasions some years back
and he did want gcc to remain free.