Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bill Rutledge <Bi...@liquent.com> on 2012/01/20 21:39:37 UTC

Cannot Validate Signature for apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip

For apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip, I used Kleopatra to import the KEYS and check the validity of the signatures in apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip.asc and got the following. Does  this look like I've made some mistake in this process?

[cid:image001.png@01CCD788.1E255930]

Re: Cannot Validate Signature for apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 20/01/2012 20:39, Bill Rutledge wrote:

> For apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip, I used Kleopatra to import the
> KEYS and check the validity of the signatures in
> apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip.asc and got the following. Does
> this look like I’ve made some mistake in this process?
>

> cid:image001.png@01CCD788.1E255930

The list strips attachments and embedded images.

You'll need to post it online somewhere.

[key:62590808]

Re: Cannot Validate Signature for apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

On 24/01/2012 20:01, Bill Rutledge wrote:
> I signed and trusted Mark's certificate:

On what basis are you trusting that that public key really does belong
to someone called "Mark Thomas"? Personally, I do rather more checks
before I'd trust someone else's public key.

> [cid:image001.png@01CCDAA8.11318280]

That's a nice series of characters. The list strips images.

> I tried to verify it, but it came up bad:
>
> [cid:image002.png@01CCDAA8.11318280]

Can't see that image either.

Time to switch to a command line interface that you can copy and paste
stuff to/from.

The chances of a signature on a Tomcat release being bad is pretty
slim. The reasons for this are:
- - Most of the tomcat committers have met each other, verified keys and
identities and have signed each others keys
- - They have also done the same for many other folks at the ASF and are
reasonably well embedded in the ASF web of trust
- - Every Tomcat release artefact is signed by the release manager and
the signatures checked my multiple Tomcat committers
- - There is an automated process that checks every binary uploaded to
the ASF distribution area and it complains loudly if there is a
problem with the signatures (we got a nag this afternoon because I
moved some things around and missed a few files) [1]

It looks very much like your OpenPGP configuration is bad or you have
a corrupted download. Try obtaining the file from a different mirror
or direct from the ASF master copy.

I have also signed this message. If you can't verify that signature,
it is more likely to be a local issue.

Mark

[1] http://people.apache.org/~henkp/checker/sig.html

RE: Cannot Validate Signature for apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip

On 1/20/12 3:39 PM, Bill Rutledge wrote:

> For apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip, I used Kleopatra to import

> the KEYS

Do you mean this file?

http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-7/KEYS

> and check the validity of the signatures in

> apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip.asc and got the following.

> Does this look like I’ve made some mistake in this process?

WFM:

$ gpg --verify apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip.asc

apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip

gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 20 15:36:27 2011 EST using RSA key ID 2F6059E7

gpg: Good signature from "Mark E D Thomas <ma...@apache.org>>"

gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the

owner.

Primary key fingerprint: A9C5 DF4D 22E9 9998 D987  5A51 10C0 1C5A 2F60

59E7

So, if you trust the key with the above fingerprint, you should be fine.

Don't forget that you'll need to sign Mark's key if you want to actually trust it. Then the warning you see above will go away.

(I don't trust Mark's key, yet, because he hasn't actually participated in a key signing event that I've attended. No offense, Mark.)

- -chris

For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org<ma...@tomcat.apache.org>

Re: Cannot Validate Signature for apache-tomcat-7.0.23-windows-i64.zip

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.