Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by David Arthur <mu...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/17 15:10:37 UTC

[VOTE] 2.5.0 RC2

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the third candidate for release of Apache Kafka 2.5.0.

* TLS 1.3 support (1.2 is now the default)
* Co-groups for Kafka Streams
* Incremental rebalance for Kafka Consumer
* New metrics for better operational insight
* Upgrade Zookeeper to 3.5.7
* Deprecate support for Scala 2.11

 Release notes for the 2.5.0 release:
https://home.apache.org/~davidarthur/kafka-2.5.0-rc2/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Tuesday March 24, 2020 by 5pm PT.

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~davidarthur/kafka-2.5.0-rc2/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~davidarthur/kafka-2.5.0-rc2/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 2.5 branch) is the 2.5.0 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/2.5.0-rc2

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/25/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/25/protocol.html

I'm thrilled to be able to include links to both build jobs with successful
builds! Thanks to everyone who has helped reduce our flaky test exposure
these past few weeks :)

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 2.5 branch:
Unit/integration tests: https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-2.5-jdk8/64/
System tests: https://jenkins.confluent.io/job/system-test-kafka/job/2.5/42/

--
David Arthur

Re: [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC2

Posted by Christopher Egerton <ch...@confluent.io>.
Thanks David! FYI for everyone else, the PR has now been merged and
backported and shouldn't block the 2.5 release any further.

Re: [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC2

Posted by David Arthur <mu...@gmail.com>.

--
David Arthur

Re: [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC2

Posted by Christopher Egerton <ch...@confluent.io>.
Hi all,

Re: [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC2

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
I think it is a regression, since it was introduced in KAFKA-9437: KIP-559,
which is in 2.5.0, so it means for the same scenario described in Boyang's
PR, 2.5 would fail while 2.4 would not.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC2

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Boyang,

Re: [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC2

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Boyang,

Re: [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC2

Posted by Boyang Chen <re...@gmail.com>.
Hey David,

I would like to raise https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-9701 as a

Re: [kafka-clients] [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC2

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Thanks for running this release.

Sorry for the delay in bringing this up.
I just wanted to draw attention to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-9731 that blocked us from
upgrading to 2.4.
Based on the earlier discussion, the fix may not require a lot of work.

Regards,
--Vahid

--

Thanks!