Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by mclean7640 mclean7640 <mc...@bell.net> on 2022/01/20 21:30:25 UTC

Apple problem

I have tried to download and open the Open Office app and received the
message below.

macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.
I'm using a new iMac os12.1
I had no problem downloading and using on my old iMac
I understand Apple can be jerks but it should be my decision  to use
products I feel are save.

Re: Apple problem

Posted by David Robley <da...@robley.net.au>.
https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html#apple

As a courtesy I have forwarded a copy of this reply to you as well as to
the mailing list. Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
<us...@openoffice.apache.org> - replies to my personal email address
will be ignored.

On 21/1/22 8:00 am, mclean7640 mclean7640 wrote:

> I have tried to download and open the Open Office app and received the
> message below.
>
> macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.
> I'm using a new iMac os12.1
> I had no problem downloading and using on my old iMac
> I understand Apple can be jerks but it should be my decision  to use
> products I feel are save.

Cheers
--
David Robley

How long will a floating point operation float?

Re: Apple problem

Posted by Don Town <bg...@sbcglobal.net>.

> On Jan 20, 2022, at 4:30 PM, mclean7640 mclean7640 <mc...@bell.net> wrote:
>

> I have tried to download and open the Open Office app and received the message below.
>
> macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.
> I'm using a new iMac os12.1
> I had no problem downloading and using on my old iMac
> I understand Apple can be jerks but it should be my decision  to use products I feel are save.

If it's not from the appstore, they don't like that.

If you're not familiar with this, <On OSX at least> mommy Apple wants you to suck from the apple teet when you download any software.  That way mommy knows it's 'safe' for HER computer.

What you do is...

1: Open System Preferences:Security & Privacy

2: Click the "General" tab.  Keep this visible when you try to download / open / install your sofware.

3: NOW try to download / open / install.  Watch the Security control panel in the area where it says "Allow apps downloaded from:".  You'll probably see a 'whine' message there that complains about what you're doing.

4: WHEN Apple 'whines' that you really shouldn't do that (or you're being a naughty boy), tell it "YES, I really want to do this.".  They may try to scare you away repeatedly (just in case there are any "naughty bugs" in the sofware you're downloading).  If you decide to keep pushing past all Apple's "Danger Will Robinson, DANGER!" warnings, you can download, install, and finally RUN the software in spite of Apple's "mommying".

I'm sick of being nannied.
Am in the process of setting up a Raspberry Pi to get off the Apple merry-go-round teet.