Posted to user@empire-db.apache.org by bachew <ap...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/30 03:18:39 UTC

More history of Empire-db

Hi,
The first entry in the FAQ answered part of my question -
http://incubator.apache.org/empire-db/empiredb/faq.htm. But I would like to
know more about the history of Empire-db, the people and the organization
behind this interesting library. How it improves over the years and what
kinda applications that Empire-db is written for. And erm... why name it
Empire-db?

Hard to believe that someone finally did what I have in mind and this
page<http://incubator.apache.org/empire-db/empiredb/hibernate.htm>explained
what I always wanted to explain to people. I'm planning to write
an application framework and it seems my only choice is Empire-db on
database side, I wish to know more about it.

Thanks in advance.

Re: More history of Empire-db

Posted by bachew <ap...@gmail.com>.
Yup, not over-complicated but simply intuitive is what I after. The reason I
find Empire-db more appealing than static configuration based persistence
framework is the same for Wicket vs Struts2. I'm not sure how good
empire-db-struts2 is but I'm definitely not going to bother much on template
based web framework.
Unfortunately I haven't started anything yet, so can't provide much feedback
to you guys. I'm sure to keep you all updated.

Re: More history of Empire-db

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi bachew,

Re: More history of Empire-db

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi bachew,

--
http://www.somatik.be

Re: More history of Empire-db

Posted by bachew <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

re: More history of Empire-db

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi bachew,

we’re glad to hear that you like Empire-db. We really believe it's the best thing since sliced bread and we hope more and more people will see the advantages.

About the history:
The basic idea, i.e. to describe the data model using classes and objects goes back to the middle of the 90's. At that time I was developing document management solutions under Windows using C++ and MFC. Back then I wrote the first attempt for a relational data persistence layer in C++.

In 2000 me and my partner founded our company ESTEAM Software now focusing on developing Web-based applications in Java. For our first big project I used all the ideas from my C++ implementation to build a data persistence layer in Java. Since then we have used and improved the library (I don't want to use the word 'framework' in this context) in many fundamentally different applications such as CRM-tools, DataWarehouse utilities, Supply-Chain-Management etc. and for both Web and Rich-Client applications. Besides the Java implementation we also have a C# implementation; however we have not yet found the time to separate it from other stuff and make the necessary refactorings to match it with our Java Empire-db. We might do that I we find there is demand for it.

re: More history of Empire-db

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi bachew,