Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Marshall Roch <ma...@exclupen.com> on 2003/12/28 20:31:42 UTC

Autogenerated CVS changelog

Digging through the Ant docs, I found the cvschangelog task[1].  It
generates an XML file, so we could get Forrestbot to run this task if
it's using the CVS getsrc task, and then Forrest could transform it like
any other source file.

The problem is that the changelog is already in status.xml.  IMO, it
would be cool to split them apart (and slightly change the syntax) and
allow those projects using Forrestbot to autogenerate the changelog,
while still allowing others to do it manually.

Comments? Problems with this?

--
Marshall Roch

[1] http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/changelog.html

Re: Autogenerated CVS changelog

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> It's different. The CVS changelog is too verbose and fine-grained. Not
> all commits are recorded in status.xml.

Use a confition of "SHOW-IN-STATUS"  in part of the cvs commit message
and filter on that.
But I agree this is out of forrest scope.

Re: Autogenerated CVS changelog

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Marshall Roch wrote:
> Digging through the Ant docs, I found the cvschangelog task[1].  It
> generates an XML file, so we could get Forrestbot to run this task if
> it's using the CVS getsrc task, and then Forrest could transform it like
> any other source file.

There is a project over at Jakarta, called Alexandria, that is for
generating informations about projects from source code.

The project is not very lively to say the least, but now Dims and I are
working to set it up to run with Gump.

The result of a run is something like this:
http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/alexandria-docs/xml-cocoon/

I would love to see it added to that project.

> The problem is that the changelog is already in status.xml.

It's different. The CVS changelog is too verbose and fine-grained. Not
all commits are recorded in status.xml.

> IMO, it
> would be cool to split them apart (and slightly change the syntax) and
> allow those projects using Forrestbot to autogenerate the changelog,
> while still allowing others to do it manually.
>
> Comments? Problems with this?

If you want Forrest to be able to simply render the output of the
changelog task, I'm fine with it; the problem is that it does not insert
a DTD, so that has to be done prior to Forrest processing (please no
more special names for understanding the DTD).

But for running Ant, it's not Forrest's business, so it has to be done
prior to calling Forrest.

> --
> Marshall Roch
>
> [1] http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/changelog.html

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Autogenerated CVS changelog

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Marshall Roch wrote:

> Digging through the Ant docs, I found the cvschangelog task[1].  It
> generates an XML file, so we could get Forrestbot to run this task if
> it's using the CVS getsrc task, and then Forrest could transform it
> like any other source file.
>
> The problem is that the changelog is already in status.xml.  IMO, it
> would be cool to split them apart (and slightly change the syntax) and
> allow those projects using Forrestbot to autogenerate the changelog,
> while still allowing others to do it manually.

Just use XML entitie in status.xml