Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/26 01:04:12 UTC

Promoting JCR-RMI from the contrib

Hi,

As a part of the 0.9 release process I'd like to promote the JCR-RMI
component out of the contrib directory. I'd like to make a clear
distinction between the components that will be released by the
Jackrabbit project and the development "sandbox" that the contrib
directory can easily be seen as.

I'm focusing on JCR-RMI as a first example because it is already quite
mature and widely used and because it is most familiar to me. I'd like
to apply the same promoting procedure also to the other mature contrib
projects as soon as we reach consensus on how promoting shall be
handled.

My proposal would be to simply move jcr-rmi one level up from the
contrib directory to the main jackrabbit/trunk directory.

What do you think? Should jcr-rmi be promoted? Is the above the best
way to do it?

My initial plan is to include jcr-rmi in the Jackrabbit releases, but
it might also make sense to allow independent releace cycles for such
components. Which do you think is the better approach?

There's also a question related to branding. Should jcr-rmi be renamed
to jackrabbit-rmi to better indicate that it is a part of the
Jackrabbit project? Such renaming would give a better clue on the
origin of the component at the expense of potential misunderstandings
of it being a Jackrabbit-specific network layer.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Software craftmanship, JCR consulting, and Java development

Re: Promoting JCR-RMI from the contrib

Posted by Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com>.
HI,

+1 promiting jcr-rmi to prime time.

I'm not sure, whether rebranding to jackrabbit-rmi would be a good
choice. It would surely be identified to come from Apache Jackrabbit. In
the other it could as well be misinterpreted as being Jackrabbit with
RMI access, which it is not. I suggest we leave it as jcr-rmi and
identify it properly in the manifest.

-1 rebranding to jackrabbit-rmi.

Regards
Felix Meschberger

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the comments! I'll promote JCR-RMI by moving it one level
up from the contrib directory. I will also keep the the JCR-RMI name.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Martin van den Bemt wrote:
>
>> Normally this kind of things are written down in the bylaws, but I
>> guess a charter is written when the incubation was succesfull and a
>> Jackrabbit PMC is formed.
>

> No, we operate on the same guidelines as httpd.

I'll have a look at these quidelines..

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: Promoting JCR-RMI from the contrib

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jan 27, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Martin van den Bemt wrote:

> Normally this kind of things are written down in the bylaws, but I
> guess a charter is written when the incubation was succesfull and a
> Jackrabbit PMC is formed.

No, we operate on the same guidelines as httpd.

This is no different from any other change applied to subversion.
A vote is not necessary unless one of the voters requests it.  We
do want to discuss significant changes on the list first, though.
I think Jukka is doing the right thing by bringing it to our attention,
but doesn't need to call a formal vote unless one of the other
committers objects to the plan.

....Roy

Re: Promoting JCR-RMI from the contrib

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Normally this kind of things are written down in the bylaws, but I guess a charter is written when
the incubation was succesfull and a Jackrabbit PMC is formed.
A bit of guesswork here and maybe wrong assumptions, but even based on wrong assumptions, it could
be usefull to decide if a vote is usefull.

- One reason to formalise a move from contrib to jackrabbit, is that the code will now end up in the
jackrabbit release itself and when in contrib it wouldn't have.
- Another reason to start a is to point to/alert others that something important is happening and
therefore needs more serious attention, than would have been given to a normal thread (you are just
incubating, but I find vote threads very usefull to be able to track a lot of projects at Apache).
- I am inclinded to start a vote when I want to move or promote something.
- Promoting normally means to make something more important than it was before, so a major event is
happening here. In my opinion it is good practise to have votes on something major (eg like you do
with new committers)

OTOH maybe the jackrabbit project may decide a vote will not be necessary for these kind of events,
but the only way to establish that is to start a vote about that.. Then you already have some nice
content for the bylaws when leaving incubation...

Some more info on this can be found http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html.

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
> My proposal would be to simply move jcr-rmi one level up from the
> contrib directory to the main jackrabbit/trunk directory.

+ 1

cheers
stefan

Re: Promoting JCR-RMI from the contrib

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> My proposal would be to simply move jcr-rmi one level up from the
> contrib directory to the main jackrabbit/trunk directory.

+1

> There's also a question related to branding. Should jcr-rmi be renamed
> to jackrabbit-rmi to better indicate that it is a part of the
> Jackrabbit project?

-1 we should keep the name to indicate that it can be used to remote any
jcr repository, not just jackrabbit.

regards
  marcel